TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Upper arm brace..Front or back???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upper arm brace..Front or back???
    Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 3:00pm
On the fleet and most later production upper control arms there is a extra brace welded onto the bottom side...Making the arms now a distinct left and a right...Does the arm go on the car with the brace towards the front or the back of the car??   Thankyou   Bob Reno in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2016 at 2:24pm
According the 1974 TSM for fleet components the upper control arm has a reinforcement plate welded to the forward corner near the control arm bushing and is identified by a sticker with a part number and side application attached to the front side.
It goes on to identify a fleet lower control arm and a two piece bushing.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2016 at 2:30pm
Thankyou for replying...Just to make it clear in my ...not a young as it once was.....mind, the brace goes on the front side of the arm?   Bob in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
jetnoise View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetnoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2016 at 6:00pm

I must say it's hard to rely by the figure which way the brahce goes

For posterity

Edited by jetnoise - Aug/10/2016 at 6:35pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2016 at 6:12pm
Assuming LH means Left Hand Side, and the statement being forward corner... I assume the reinforcement is done at side facing the bumper. It would make since, as more torque is applied under heavy steering at the front most bushing, and also because the slight angle of the upward arc.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2016 at 3:48pm
That is what I take from uncljohn's and the TSM's descriptions also. Wouldn't hurt to brace both bushings though. The front (toward bumper) take the most abuse though, no real need to reinforce the rear one.
Frank Swygert
jetnoise View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetnoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2016 at 6:24pm
Anyone have a photo of a factory piece?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 5:46pm
For reference I just realised my late build 71 Javelin has the factory reinforced upper control arm. Just never flipped my UCA to notice until recent. After so many years of hearing about such UCA on later build AMC mainly after 73. I guess 71 would have them on all Javelins with a v8, after January build date? Somewhere there was a Service Bulletin posted in January 71 about one piece fleet use strut rod bushings. Maybe big cars got the updated UCA about that time in 71??? Donno.

I think another thread has pix of the factory reinforcement. I have easily searched and found it on Yayhoo images.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic