TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Maryland AM/Rambler dealership ad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2016 at 7:41am
Yeah...guess they weren't asked to chip in for the ad?  Plenty of Orioles fans down that way.
72 Gremlin X
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2016 at 1:01pm
Ok I'm going to throw this out here because there seems to be some interest in why some many AMC dealerships at the time, and in fact there appear to be too many and you are correct, so I'll tell you why. First of all Hudson had a bad tendency to have smaller dealers in smaller towns in out of the way places. I use to visit a few back in the day. The other thing many people don't know is the when Studebaker finally pulled the plug on car manufacturing the remaining Studebaker dealerships were offered an AMC dealership. Many took up AMC . I've been to few of those too over the years. I know of at least one Packard dealership in that mix too just from my old area in Illinois. He still had the Packard neon clock on the wall , as he was also a Mercedes Benz dealer , from the Studebaker Packard days. A lot of these dealerships were smaller out of the way places. One of the reasons Nash did so well is they did have a better dealership network mainly in major cities unlike the other independent car companies. So, a lot of these over lapping dealership stayed around. There an effort to weed out some of the smaller dealerships and get bigger one added in around 1971 and it still was not enough. Only a very few of the really small dealerships were cut. I know of one that only sold about 16 to 18 cars a year that was cut. So, that is one of the reason for so many dealerships. LRDaum
LRDaum
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2016 at 7:37pm
Interesting...thanks mramc!
72 Gremlin X
egreene View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote egreene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2016 at 9:32pm
I bought my Javelin/AMX new at Richie Rambler/AMC in 1972.Anyone out there have a picture of the dealership that they would care to share. looking for an 8x10 glossy for my garage to go along with the car. Thanks.
TransAmOwner1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransAmOwner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2016 at 3:27pm
Cool info. I bought my brand-new 1970 Trans Am Javelin at the Laurel AMC Dealership (10052 North Washington Blvd, Laurel, MD 20723) - I still have the car.
I believe the dealership was owned by a very nice gentleman named Spiro Tshontikidis. He was also nice enough to ask for the full sticker price, plus a dealer surcharge for a "special car." He also owned the co-located Dodge dealership. The building is still there today on Washington Blvd (it is US Route 1). It's changed owners several times, but has always been a car dealership (used cars today, I think) and occupies the same footprint, parking lots, and service garage.  

63 american View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 american Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2016 at 9:44am
Looking at  the Maryland AM/Rambler Dealership ad I see  Oriole Rambler  as being listed at 4405 Belair  Rd. when I was  a child I  remember Oriole being on 25TH St. Clifton Rambler was located at  that Belair Rd location MY dad took his car there for Service.I am talking mid  60`s.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic