TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1978 Electronic Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Electronic Distributor
    Posted: Jul/24/2016 at 1:46pm
I have all the components off a 78 Matador 360/Auto: distributor, coil, ignition module.  Can I use this in my 1968, warmed over 343, or should I just convert my current distributor to an electronic..Pertronix Ignitor?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2016 at 2:57pm
My first take would be why put old technology back on when there are so many better options out there? Now if your trying for a period look that is one thing but ignition systems have come a long way since 1978. 

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2016 at 3:49pm
Yes, it will work fine. '78 should be the Motorcraft system.  Swap distributor gear from your existing distributor to the '78 and maybe recurve it while apart. 

You can get curve kits, larger cap, higher output coil, use with an aftermarket box, etc for future upgrades. 

I swapped one from a '78 Concord to a '73 Hornet and used the wiring from the '78. Got tired of parts store points letting me down. Ran for years as a daily driver with the Motorcraft system. 

I'm actually using a stock '78 Motorcraft box with an MSD distributor and a Pertronix 60kV coil in my Javelin now as have an issue with the Crane box and haven't sorted out yet. Works fine.

Hope this helps, RD

Edited by Red Devil - Jul/24/2016 at 4:07pm
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2016 at 4:02pm
Just wondering, looks like for a 100 bucks I could have a better distributor and basically the same amount of work.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 5:45pm
A Dist. for $100. good luck with that...The system in question is very reliable...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 5:48pm
You can put a Ford TFI coil on that Motorcraft distributor and make an ignition system at least as hot as HEI.

Just carry a spare ignition module for the Motorcraft system. When the day comes that it starts and runs while cold but shuts itself off and won't restart when it gets hot is the day the module needs replaced. All the early electronic ignitions systems did that.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 8:33pm
Thats whats great about that set up..Most of the time it`s only the module that goes bad...Plug and play...Tow truck when your MSD decides to fail....
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic