TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pierre Cardin Seat Cloth - Available!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2018 at 11:39pm
There were some nice rears on eBay. I need fronts. Or at least 1 lower front   
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 12:54pm
Those rears are still faded - and the one that has the back and bottom of the rear isn't all that great for the price, IMO. 
I've seen those on eBay for months - still unsold. Shipping would also be a killer so by the time you bought those and had them shipped........

Buy the fronts from Bryan (teamamc) - I did and am quite happy with 'em.
Sure wish  he had the back material or I could find some.
I hate having perfect fronts and faded, stained and holy rear seat.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2018 at 8:26am
It won't cost anything to ask. Send these people a picture from E-bay of what you want and with the CA dollar so low you may be in for a pleasant surprise. I know shipping will be brutal but I've done large item shipping via Grey Hound, transmission for Alberta to Ontario, and it was $95.
http://www.luxuryvillage.ca/
GremlinP38 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinP38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 12:35pm
The SMS reproduction project seems to have died.
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 2:42pm
Yeah they were supposed to be saving grace I’ll have to call them and ask...... again 
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 10:11pm
The issue isn't having fabric "printed", it's having the special fabric MADE. This isn't ordinary upholstery fabric by any means or stretch. This is special stuff - so you have the cost of having a whole run of special fabric made just for this - then having it printed. I would bet there's not a mill set up in the USA to make fabric like that these days. Imagine going in and saying "I want xx yards of this fabric made of these materials, this weave, and then brushed in this way" and then have it printed and sold in panels - not by the yard. 
When a designer has something done through RJR or Moda or other makers of fabrics - it's usually in the thousands of yards.
Each bolt of cotton, for example, is typically 14 yards - and it sells these days for about $12/yard typical where it used to be 7 or 8 when we were in the business. 
Now you are talking a special blend and weave and sheen - just to get the fabric made -then the design, the process that's needed to get the colors you want where you want. 
I wonder if they looked into it and saw that it's not anything like what's made today. When I talked to the former AMC designer about his work with Pierre Cardin, he jumped right in when I suggested it wasn't any normal fabric we'd see today - no, he said even the fabric was different. 
There aren't that many mills in the USA these days......  asking them to set up for a very limited run (how many of these were made compared to the fabrics used in other AMC cars?)

Could be wrong - but I have a feeling this wouldn't be an easy or cheap one to do. 
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2019 at 7:46am
Just to add a small tidbit of info regarding this material...Years ago there was lots of it available...I even found some at a fabric supplier in Oklahoma City...I have had some of this material over the years and it was printed in one continuous roll with a repeating pattern and not made in individual smaller sections such as just enough for one seat or a back seat...The last PC car I had redone, with the material printed this way, there was quite a bit of "scrap", but back in the day I guess a bit of waste didn't matter a whole lot...Bob in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 2:37pm
I know one person in Las Vegas who's also looking for the fabric, so if this reproduction project does advance in the I can add one more person to the list. And also probably some Mexican AMCers looking forward to customizing their VAM Javelins with PC interior (never available in Mexico).
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 2:49pm
Yes, that's called "panels" in the industry. YES, they ARE still printed in "rolls", rolled on bolts, but the pattern repeats in a very specific way.
Normally you cut at a specific spot and buy a panel, rather than a "yard" (but depending on the task, type, etc. -  shops still sell it by the yard so if a panel is 24" then you have bought 2/3 of a yard. 
Some shops do the math ahead of time and sell for xx/panel but it still works out yardage because THEY buy a bolt of xx yards, not xx panels. 
If you buy multiple panels, say, enough to do all seats, there may be, likely would be, more scrap - but if you bought just enough for a seat - if a single pattern was cut out, there's not so much (and you could get into trouble like I did)
The piece I bought for my back seat was a panel intended to be enough - but no matter how we did the math and tried to figure it, it was short a bit - so likely you would have been better off buying enough for all seats because the "waste" would be larger and would fill the need of the next seat. 

So I'd suggest if this stuff DOES ever come out - don't buy "enough to do a seat", buy enough to do the WHOLE THING - both front seats and the rear seat - otherwise you'll end up SHORT fabric like I did. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic