TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Horizontal Trunnion Bushing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horizontal Trunnion Bushing
    Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 3:54pm
I've been chasing a squeak in the right-front suspension of my '69 AMX, and finally tracked it down to the horizontal bushing in the trunnion.  I know I greased the bolt that goes through it when I assembled it, but I suspect that it's the sides of the polyurethane bushing, where it rubs against the control arm, that perhaps I didn't lubricate adequately. When I loosen the bolts the squeak goes away.  While they were loose I tried spraying some silicone lubricant in between the bushing and the control arm, which helped, but it still squeaks a little once the bolts are re-torqued the the factory setting. Anyone got any good ideas on how to go about lubing this? 

It doesn't look like I can remove the bolt entirely without things flying because of the force of the spring-- not sure that would help anyway-- but I was wondering if I might be able to pry the control arms apart enough to lube the sides by loosening the nuts at both ends of the control arms?

Edited by CamJam - Jul/02/2016 at 3:57pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 4:40pm
Cam, I had the same squeak on my 69 Rambler. I put all new front suspension and it bugged me that it squeaked even after all the work I did. Took it to a good suspension shop and had to remove it (and the spring with the special tool I have) and reapply grease. Do not loosen the control arm bolts and try to grease. It is dangerous. I had a spring pop when I tried it on a parts car while picking it. It hit me in the chest so hard I was knocked back 3 or 4 feet. Badly bruised and very fortunate that was all I received for my carelessness. Those springs can take you apart. Be careful.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 5:12pm
Cameron...sorry to hear of this issue, but just another reason I am not a fan of the Polyurethane replacements.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 6:36pm

Hmmm, not encouraging.  Fortunately it only squeaks on big bumps, so I can live with it for awhile. Looks like a good fall project after Rockford.

AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Hmmm, not encouraging.  Fortunately it only squeaks on big bumps, so I can live with it for awhile. Looks like a good fall project after Rockford.

Cam, I can totally relate because I had the same problem earlier this spring. I rebuilt/replaced the

entire front suspension, only to develop a loud squeak in the left side poly bushing. I knew

everything had been lubed and installed correctly. I tried several times to fix the annoying noise with no

success. Talk about frustrating- Grrrrr!

I ended up replacing both of the new (poly) trunions with another new set that had OEM rubber bushings.

These OEM units are now a permanent in-stock item by RareParts.com (800) 621-2005.

There has been absolutely no problems or noises since the change over.

Those were the only polyurethane parts that have ever been on my car AND will certainly be the last.

Now, I just have to remember that I learned my lesson.   Bruce
Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 10:12pm

Bruce, were your problems with the horizontal bushing or the the vertical one?

I actually do have a set set of NOS trunnions (minus the bushings) that I bought as spares.  I might go ahead and prep them with OEM rubber bushings if Rare Parts has both vertical and horizontal bushings.

Edited by CamJam - Jul/03/2016 at 10:55am

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2016 at 7:07am
Originally posted by AMXTSY AMXTSY wrote:

......I ended up replacing both of the new (poly) trunions with another new set that had OEM rubber bushings.   These OEM units are now a permanent in-stock item by RareParts.com (800) 621-2005.....

I looked on the Rare Parts catalog http://www.showmetheparts.com/rareparts/ .  Did you use 18350, the trunion repair kit?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2016 at 11:10am
 Although it was difficult to narrow down the exact source of the noise, I believe it was coming from the

horizontal bushing. I replaced the whole assembly on both sides with part #15758 from Rare Parts. This

instantly cured my squeaking problem. I also repainted the new parts silver (instead of black).

Because I was tying up someone else's lift, I did not attempt to try and rebuild with a new bushing kit.

It is my understanding that Rare Parts only use OEM castings. Apparently, some of the new (Chinese?)

reproduction trunnions, may have been subject to quality control issues (imagine that- Duh!).

Trunnion close-machine tolerances and alignment are critical. New castings are being mass produced and

may not have been be properly machined.

It is possible that I just got a defective repop, (only had problems on one side).

I was also told that there was no longer any core or salvage value for the old parts because of all of the

new castings that are being made.

With all of those annoying noises, it was really disconcerting and quite embarrassing to drive. I was

almost ready to start wearing head phones and a mask while driving.

All of this made for a long and expensive ordeal, but life is all good (and quiet) again for now...

If all else fails, you can have my head phones LOL.

Best of luck.  Bruce
Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic