TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin Transmission Identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powercat7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin Transmission Identification
    Posted: Jun/26/2016 at 9:26pm
Hi everyone,
I have a transmission that I received when I purchased my '68  Javelin. My dad and I don't really know what type of transmission it is and we are wondering because we would like to sell it. The transmission has a Chrysler stamp on the neck that has numbers that read 402 and 8191. Below that is the number 05305. Off to the right is the number "1". Also, on the bell housing there is a stamp number that is 105 and a backward "S". We believe the transmission is from a 1973 Javelin. Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Below are a few pictures of it.
Thanks, powercat7

Thanks very much and have a nice day.
powercat7
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2016 at 9:47pm
thats a TF. either a 904 or 998.
powercat7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powercat7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2016 at 9:53pm
Hi, thank you for the response. We have a 343 V8 Javelin, but I don't think it will fit. Do you have any idea what it is worth? I am trying to earn some money for body work on my car.
Thanks, powercat7
powercat7
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2016 at 9:56pm
does it have the torque converter?   with a converter its worth more.  I honestly dont know how much its worth.  try selling it in the for sale section.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2016 at 5:41am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2016 at 5:49am
Do you know for sure it was bolted to an AMC engine, or is it a Mopar bolt pattern trans? AMC used a 998 behind the 304, so it could be from a 73 Javelin. Someone may have bought a Mopar trans for it not knowing that the AMC models had a different bell housing bolt pattern than the Mopar models though. 
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2016 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Do you know for sure it was bolted to an AMC engine, or is it a Mopar bolt pattern trans? AMC used a 998 behind the 304, so it could be from a 73 Javelin. Someone may have bought a Mopar trans for it not knowing that the AMC models had a different bell housing bolt pattern than the Mopar models though. 

I can tell its an AMC pattern bellhousing.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2016 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

thats a TF. either a 904 or 998.

Oops. I think its a 727.
powercat7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powercat7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2016 at 9:55pm
Hey guys thanks for the information. I really appreciate it and it helped a lot.
Thanks, powercat7
powercat7
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2016 at 11:30pm
It must be a 727, larger and beefier than my 904.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic