TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Contol Freak IFS 1970 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 11:57am
I have yet to get it out so I am not sure how the ride will be at this point. However, I assume you are referring to the upper control arms where they meet the body? The lower control arms are bushed and since the impact of bumps are spring isolated on the upper control arms I would think that the ride shouldn't be too harsh. If the lower control arms were solid mount and not bushed I would think the harsh ride would be much more pronounced. I am sure that the ride is going to be more harsh than a stock ride as this is geared more toward performance and less toward that of a Cadillac. I don't think I have ever been in a sports car of any kind that had smooth ride. Oh, one exception to that is the upper end sports cars with the reactive suspension systems and even those have a harsh ride when in sport mode. I am certainly building for max handling capability over comfort because I want to have a fun track day car, show car and less of a daily driver long distance driving car. It gets a trailer ride for any distances further than about 40 miles away.
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 12:11pm
Don't get me wrong. I'm all about the performance ride. I am certain that it will ride better than factory. I have a friend who did his at the same time as me. Only he actually has his on the road!! LOL. He says it really transforms the ride to feel much more like a modern performance car.
I was just more curious why Al made the change from the uppers being bushed just like the lower. Maybe I'll give him a call just to quiz him on it a little.
I am really looking forward to driving mine with this system. I have never heard any complaints after someone installed it. Maybe a few about the install process but all seem happy once done!

Al is absolutely top notch. I would say the best vendor/customer support I have ever experienced!

shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 1:30pm
Yeah, I would agree on Al being an A1 vendor. Unfortunately during the shipping and receiving of all the parts (I ordered the rear 4-link and subframe connectors too) several items he was out of stock on and other items were back ordered. This of course caused things to arrive at different times over the course of two weeks but Al stayed on top of things and ensured that everything was taken care of and made it to me. He also responded to a question that we had on the weekend just by calling him. So yeah, I agree entirely Al is best in the business in my mind.

Hey, I do have a question though for others that are running the IFS with a manual rack. What has your experience been on manual over power steering? I ask because I am converting from the stock PS to the now manual rack and IFS system. I understand that with decently wide tires (225) as I am expected to run that the steering while stationary is going to require some effort.

Has anyone gotten a decent comparison of a manual gearbox steering system to that of a manual rack system and how much easier is it with a manual rack over that of the manual gearbox?

Edited by shootist - Jun/25/2016 at 1:38pm
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 2:17pm
Ride is not harsh but it is firm, My older setup does not have rod ends like the pics here. The rod end setup will be a lot easier to set caster and camber.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 2:23pm
Thanks for the feedback. I fully expect and actually want a firm ride so I can feel the road better.
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 2:30pm
You will love it. The limit to handling ends up being how well Your seats keep Your but planted. I ended up up-grading to power steering after 2 years but I run 245ZR45/17 and They were a little heavy in the parking lot.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 3:55pm
Chris, thanks for the Pictures. You did a godd work. Clap
Which Shock Settings do you run?

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 4:16pm
Haven't gotten it back on the road yet so not sure how I will dial in the shocks just yet. I will scale the car to setup the spring rates and probably set the shocks to a good midpoint and go from there. Also building a 401 supercharged motor to go back into it but should have it back on the road with front and rear shocks done sometime in late August.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 12:54pm
For anyone that is interested. I did get the car back on the ground yesterday and while the engine and transmission are yet to be installed I can say that the turning the steering wheel with the manual rack and tires on the ground is really pretty easy at this point. I am sure that the extra weight and a rough surface as opposed to a smooth garage floor is going to change that considerably but at this rate I think it will not be too bad. I will provide more updates once we get it moving under its own power again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic