TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pacer Front End, What does it Fit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pacer Front End, What does it Fit?
    Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 9:13am
I have a friend whose Dad has a completely rebuilt pacer front end that he had on a truck he was restoring, but then went with a Mustang II front end. Since he no longer has a need for it, he may be selling it. I was wondering what AMCs this would bolt up fairly easily to (Besides the obvious Pacer.) I have a Spirit that needs new bushings and front end here soon since things are starting to crack and wear out. Would this be too difficult? Or would it bolt up fairly easily? If not, I know a friend with just about every AMC model who could surely use it at some point or another.

Cheers!
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 2:49pm
The individual parts that make up the pacer front end may have an application on other AMC cars, but as a unit it was used as a front end to be installed on Hot Rods. It is different than that used on a Spirit. I would estimate that the rotors and calipers are about all that might be directly usable on your Spirit.
So the best application is on that on another Pacer.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2016 at 5:49am
It only bolts up to a Pacer, as uncljohn stated. The spindles/rotors/calipers are the same as other AMCs, that's it. The steering arms are shorter than other AMCs due to the rack and pinion steering, and can be used on other AMCs if converting to R&P. The rack is a bit wide though, and hard to find parts for now. It is a GM sourced rack, and GM apparently changed the design since the late 70s.
Frank Swygert
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2016 at 6:25am
I've mentioned in the past that looking at how Flaming River utilizes the rack they offer for Rack and Pinion conversions, that is where they add a bar attached to each end of the rack and then use that bar to hang tie rod ends to solves a problem with many steering and fit problems caused by the width of the car and the space available. Of course it also makes the width front to back of the rack wider which is of itself is a fit problems. But if making major changes to a Chassis, is one that has a potential solution easier. A clever and universal solution which does not require jacking with the length of the tie rod ends to get them to fasten to the end of a rack and pinion conversion. Everything can be massaged to get properly selected length tie rod ends installed. Probably mostly for a front steer configuration and taking into account engine mounting which may need some moving around for clearance purposes.
All of which pretty much says it has little to do with a Pacer front end being useful.
Unfortunately the parts on it have little use elsewhere unless it is for another Pacer.
You work on those things enough you begin to realize the amount of engineering that went into them to actually be quite a revolutionary vehicle in their era that went straight down the toilet when the engine option disappeared and all that work disappeared with them.
The vehicle never quite lived up to the potential that it actually had.
Too Bad!
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic