TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Eagle Hydraulic Clutch issues AX-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eagle Hydraulic Clutch issues AX-15
    Posted: Jun/13/2016 at 6:00pm
I got a 84 Eagle set of manual transmission pedals with the clutch master cylinder (CMS) - the type that has a clear "reservoir tube"
I put in a "rebuild kit" for the CMS and it worked well with the AX-15 for a while - the clutch disengaged with the pedal just about halfway down.
It sat for a while and now there is black stuff in the clutch fluid and the clutch works only half the time.
I flushed it very thoroughly and it's still not up to full pressure.
I don't understand why it stopped working already - maybe the rebuild kit was old?
I have a new CMC but that's a lot more work to put in instead of the rebuild kit.
I also noticed that the one in the car is 11/16" bore and the replacement I have is 3/4"
Should I try another rebuild kit or suck it up and put in the new CMC? New CMC means pulling the brake booster so it's a pain in the butt.

'71 FrankenHornet:
'72 258 '95 4.0L Head Holley 390CFM
AX15 with R154 gears 5 speed Hurst shifter
AMC20 rear axle Detroit TrueTrac
Dual Exhaust
Concord Discs Spirit AMX sway bars
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2016 at 7:19pm
Black stuff in clutch fluid looks like rubber
Slave cylinder "pushrod" shaft is dry while master "pushrod" has a tiny bit of hydraulic fluid on it which is why I assume the master seal is bad
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2016 at 8:04pm
    I'd do new but that's just me. It's obvious that the seal has shrunk.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
sx4 eagle View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sx4 eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2016 at 2:07am
There are 2 different clutch master cylinders, one for the six cylinder (Bigger bore) and one for the smaller 4 cylinder (small bore) and yes you can get the wrong kit supplied, as my 6 cyl master had the wrong seals from a 4 cyl and it leaked into the footwell, but killing the fuse box first!
As the masters were Girling manufacture originally, after markets suppliers miss the fact there are two bore sizes made for Eagles, Crown sells rubber kits, but be careful as some I purchased were OLD stock and dead out of the box, the same for a complete new master I bought from them, the rubber had rotted from long storage.
Rock auto may sell you old stock stuff like I bought from Crown, ask seller if they are selling new production or old stocks.
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 10:55pm
Hey I put in the new CMC a while ago
I'm still having a problem where the clutch stops working after about 10 min of driving
I made this complicated AX15/R154 hybrid transmission but I don't think that's it because it shifts for a while and then loses pressure I think.
I'm guessing it must have a small leak
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
sx4 eagle View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sx4 eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 11:30pm
Did your car have a heat shield over the slave cylinder to reflect exhaust pipe heat?
You could put on header wrap over the exhaust down pipe adjacent to the slave cylinder using hose clamps.
Not sure if this is your problem, but having an issue after warm up, 10 mins or so, the slave could be getting too hot, you can check it after car is hot, try to see if it's hot, do you have a cheap harbor freight heat laser thermometer?
If it's not getting too hot, could be a clutch cover/disc/throw out issue.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2017 at 12:15am
Man, this is still an issue?

I went through this same problem with my Eagle SX/4 15 YEARS AGO.

The problem stems from the fact that I do not believe you can get "new" master cylinders anymore. Even 15 years ago, they were all remans, they were all garbage and they were NS1 in the Chrysler system.

You could still get *new* slaves from Chrysler, though.  They were good quality. I managed to get both an NOS line and an NOS slave from Chrysler (circa 2002).

All the reman'd master cylinders are garbage. I was going through about one a week. After a month I gave up and stopped driving the car.  Once, while visiting my girlfriend (at the time) the clutch gave out at the end of her driveway. It was 1am, I had to work the next morning and it was 1+ hour drive back home.  I power shifted all the way praying I didn't hit a red light. Stop signs did not exist that night.

There was a place back east called "Stainless Steel Systems" or near abouts that I looked into. The could take the original master, bore it out, install a stainless steel sleeve and rebuild it for you. They did a set of "BUDD" brake slaves for my friends' Imperial and he was very pleased with the work. 

But that was a long time ago. I do not recall their proper name, nor do I remember where they were located.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2017 at 2:17am
Wow a heat shield! Never woulda thought of that. I bought Wagner brand slave cylinders - stocked up on a few. They seem relatively new or at least still good. It might be the heat. I have dual exhaust for the 258 running right by the slave. With exhaust I'm usually thinking - well nothing is melting so I'm good. Maybe not the case
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic