TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Removing the outputshaft and some advice needed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Removing the outputshaft and some advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2016 at 12:15pm
That manual was incredibly useful.  Thanks for that, Farna.  We got the first trans completely torn down and started the process on the second.  But we ran into a surprise.  The second transmission, which is the earlier torque tube transmission has what I'm assuming is a rear pump.  The later transmission (which we want to use) has the housing but no pump internals.  The older transmission has a two gears inside of it.  The newer one has ports to allow the transmission fluid to enter and exit, but is lacking the gears that I assume make the pump function.

Am I even barking up the right tree?  Should I be able to use the shorter output shaft from the older transmission on this newer one?  It looks like the shaft itself is the same.  I just wouldn't transfer the gears with it, right?

Also, as long as the bands are the same diameter and width, should I be able to use one from the older transmission in the newer one?  The back band has some separation on the friction material on the newer trans.

I can post photos if you need.  I'm just at work right now.  

Thanks again for all the help!  
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2016 at 6:11pm
Pictures of what I believe are the rear pump:

And one of the scene in my living room, lol.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2016 at 6:11am
Yes, that is a rear pump. My 63 model had one, not sure when they eliminated it. AFAIK the output shafts will interchange. You must use the matching output housing, but that's what you wanted. The internal parts from the newer model should all fit the older case if you want to keep the rear pump.

The rear pump makes it possible to push start the car, and will keep enough fluid circulating to flat tow it with the driveshaft connected. Still not a good idea to flat tow like that for a long time (over 50 miles), but trannys without the rear pump will burn up if flat towed for longer, even in neutral.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2016 at 10:14am
I had a 58 Ford with a duff battery for a while and if it didn't start in the first two cranks I would push start it down the driveway at 12 MPH to get it going. I think my Rambler needs about a 20 MPH push but I haven't really tried it from a rolling start yet to find the minimum. Its 18 year old Motorcraft battery is still doing the job.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2016 at 12:15am
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

18 year old Motorcraft battery is still doing the job.

wow! that's old! cool!

but scary, haha.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic