TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

2 Seater Backseat or Mount?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 4:19pm
the ausie amx seat looks like a recovered version  of my cj5 back bench seat. you might have to cut a hole out of the back brack for the hump as the parts goes from the bottom of the set to the floor all the way across. but i cant see it weakening it at all.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/attachments/f49/17423d1400192488-new-oem-laredo-rear-seat-going-2014_0513speakerboxes0006.jpg

here is an older version that should do what you need. just add 3 pt harnesses to it for added safety.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 6:14am
Easy to put something together like the Aussie seat. It was relatively common in the mid to late 70s to see AMXs fitted with Gremlin rear seats. They fit, don't know what works is required though. Larry Daum (MRAMC on here... I think...) might be able to shed some light on that...
Frank Swygert
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 2:00pm
The KEYS to adding a rear seat are the seatbelt(s) mounting points on the floor. The nut pads need to be welded by a professional with plenty of steel reinforcements on BOTH sides of the floor/hump. Sounds like you should be prepared for two backseat drivers Wink
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Dan390 Dan390 wrote:

I think you should sell it for 1 reason...1. I am looking for one!

But seriously, one thing to consider is if you do mock up something yourself and then God forbid you got into an accident and the seat failed or caused harm, hard to live with that when it comes to your kids ya know? Granted I may sound a bit conservative there, but food for thought.

How about get a babysitter and enjoy the show with the wife instead?

There's a line of interested people if I made the choice to part. lol. I'd probably rather take the baby than the wife some days..

Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

The KEYS to adding a rear seat are the seatbelt(s) mounting points on the floor. The nut pads need to be welded by a professional with plenty of steel reinforcements on BOTH sides of the floor/hump. Sounds like you should be prepared for two backseat drivers Wink

No rush to add another, we'll see how the current one goes first haha (6 week old).

1968 Amx - Was 390/4spd, will have mild 360/5spd T5 (project)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by raser13 raser13 wrote:

the ausie amx seat looks like a recovered version  of my cj5 back bench seat. you might have to cut a hole out of the back brack for the hump as the parts goes from the bottom of the set to the floor all the way across. but i cant see it weakening it at all.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/attachments/f49/17423d1400192488-new-oem-laredo-rear-seat-going-2014_0513speakerboxes0006.jpg

here is an older version that should do what you need. just add 3 pt harnesses to it for added safety.

What year range is the CJ5? Or would the CJ7 rear seats be similar? I know of a few old ones sitting around but the exact years I don't know off hand. I'd already been considering a 4-point roll bar, but this may be more useful as a cruiser. Eventually.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2016 at 10:21am
Mine is an 80. But the bodies were the same from the early 70s till the late 80s. And the cj7 was pretty much just a stretched cj5 all the parts interchange and are the same except the length of the tub. And the length of the driveshafts. Oh and the frame. But all of the back seats should be the same.
tbenvie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbenvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2016 at 2:14pm
The early 2 piece Gremlin rear seat is an exact fit. Even when you fold the back down it aligns with the raised section that goes into the trunk. Get the latch hardware, etc. The later 3 piece gremlin seats are not as good a fit.  I did this to about a half dozen AMXs. 
Thomas M. Benvie
Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 7:39pm
Thank you! What years are early range for those seats? My guess is there isn'tany around my area, but it's something to now keep an eye out for. Do you use the Gremlin belts too or does it really matter?

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 8:00pm
There are lots of small cars in the junkyards now. If there is a pick-n-pull in your area take some measurements of the AMX back seat area and take a couple hours to peruse the Jap car area with a tape measure.
Frank Swygert
Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 8:11pm
I happen to work in one lol, although most are mid 90's and newer now (and even they're disappearing). Wondered if it'd been done and using what, but measurements from something newer/more accessible may be better.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic