TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strut Rod FIX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2022 at 6:34am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

I don’t understand the statement: “Ideal for street performance or racing classes where the steel rod end style strut rod is not allowed.” The photo of the product in use shows the steel strut rod and how would you use this kit without it? 

Many people modify the strut rod or fabricate a new one that utilizes a spherical bearing heim joint "rod end" to eliminate the spongy factory rubber bushings. While the heim joints do provide a wide range of pivot, they are often harsh and noisy, and certainly do not appear stock. That is the benefit of the Delrin kit, they appear much more stock, provide very good articulation, and are not nearly as harsh.

Edited by n2ojoe - Nov/13/2022 at 7:32am
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2022 at 9:10am
Okay, thank you for the explanation. The Delrin may be a viable option when/if the supply of rubber replacements for the stock setup eventually run out. 
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2022 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

Okay, thank you for the explanation. The Delrin may be a viable option when/if the supply of rubber replacements for the stock setup eventually run out. 

I have three sets of "rubber" replacements. ( I don't believe any of them are really rubber)

All three were tested with a durometer.

All three tested over 90 for hardness.

Unfortunately that is much much harder than the original factory rubber bushings. I installed poly bushings at the time of the front end rebuild as rubber ones were difficult to find then. The poly bushings are way too hard and creates a problem for my Javelin.
The problem is that the front suspension cannot be allowed to fully droop or compress completely. The poly bushings caused a strut rod to break because of a full compression event.

Over 90 test on a durometer is almost at least as hard as poly. Not good.

The Open tracker system pivots through the center of the strut rod bracket and does not flex the strut rod. That is the concept of the open tracker system as I was led to understand. If it does in fact flex the strut rod during a deep compression or full droop situation, then we have problems.

The whole idea was to provide that centered pivot point as the original rubber bushings did. Poly bushings don't do that. The heim joint system pivoted in front of the strut rod bracket. That does not follow allow the correct suspension travel and alters alignment as it pivots.

I was hoping to read in the response from those who have purchased the open tracker strut rod busing kit that in fact the strut rod does pivot in the center of the strut rod bracket.

Any help there?

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Nov/25/2022 at 12:38pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2022 at 12:50pm
The pivot is dead center. The two delrin bushings are held in place, on both sides of the strut rod bracket. The billit thick pivot washers compress and hold the assembly in place. It is very solid, but will allow smooth operation without the bind issues from solid rubber or poly bush, that does not allow a true pivot, and will bind under extremes.

The system is based on my own ideas to keep strut rod pivot within AMC's design. Most all other pivots made to conform to the strut rod's function, moves the pivot point inward to wheel, which effects geometry. All function, but center pivot is a requirement for proper geometry on track and for autocross.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2022 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

The pivot is dead center. The two delrin bushings are held in place, on both sides of the strut rod bracket. The billit thick pivot washers compress and hold the assembly in place. It is very solid, but will allow smooth operation without the bind issues from solid rubber or poly bush, that does not allow a true pivot, and will bind under extremes.

The system is based on my own ideas to keep strut rod pivot within AMC's design. Most all other pivots made to conform to the strut rod's function, moves the pivot point inward to wheel, which effects geometry. All function, but center pivot is a requirement for proper geometry on track and for autocross.

THANK YOU 304-dude, IMMENSELY FOR RESPONDING ! ! ! !

I need to get in contact with John and get a set sent to me.

Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2022 at 1:52pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2022 at 3:29pm
Thank you  Greyhounds_AMX.

That pretty much wraps it up and proves that it functions as it should to maintain the correct geometry.

n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2022 at 5:37pm

I was hoping to read in the response from those who have purchased the open tracker strut rod busing kit that in fact the strut rod does pivot in the center of the strut rod bracket.

Any help there?
[/QUOTE]

This is exactly right, it pivots at the center just as stock was designed. The bushing halves have a taper moulded in to allow the long center spacer sleeve a wide range of pivot.The preload on the adjuster nut can be over tightened to the point of making pivoting very difficult, so don't just run it down tight with an impact gun. Slowly adjusting the bushing to allow pivoting with light drag, then snugging down the jam nut provided in the kit will get it just right. 

Edited by n2ojoe - Nov/25/2022 at 5:50pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2022 at 8:25pm
One of the modifications I did with my Opentracker setup, remember I used the mustang ones, was to open up the centre to allow a little more articulation, they were slightly limited on the extension side, which is probably never going to be an issue on the street, but for drag racing I wanted as much extension as possible.

Keep in mind with these, that if you reach the limit of articulation, it is a hard stop, not a gradual tightening as it is with rubber or poly bushes, so probably more likely to break the strut rod. 

I also ended up fabricating bump stops to limit extension so that the shock is not the limiting factor like it is with the factory setup, I am running coil overs and it will top out the front suspension on a hard launch.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic