TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 rambler 199 rear main seal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 9:45pm
  I got the oil pan off tonight. I went to Home Depot and bought 5" long, fully threaded 3/8" bolts, nuts and fender washers. Made these jack bolts, one on each side to pull the cross member down. The hole in the cross member is just under 1/2" diameter. There is a hole in the frame directly above the hole in the cross member. I threaded the bolt through a nut and up into the hole in the frame about an inch. I put blocks of wood in there as well for safety, it's about a 3/12" gap between the frame and cross member. I also removed the passenger side motor mount plate from the rubber and removed the idler arm so the center link would hang lower. The oil pan came out fairly easy after that. I removed the rear bearing cap, the bearing is in good condition, the seal is old and brittle... Thanks again for the help. IMO, this is still easier than pulling the engine....Now to get new seal and oil pan gaskets... Here is a link to my photo bucket, I took a couple pics...

http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/jlguler/library/Rambler

Edited by Johnny72 - May/29/2016 at 9:53pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 2:03pm
nice work!
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Johnny72 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2016 at 6:11am
Got the new rear main seal in. Cleaned the sludge out of the oil pan and put everything back together. Car runs good, and it's not leaking oil now... There is no oil journal hole in the crank where the seal rides, so I tapped the old seal out with a punch till I could pull it out with pliars.. I lubed the new seal with engine Assembly lube and it pushed right in. I put RTV on the corners before reinstalling the bearing cap.. I also put new brake shoes on the front, and replaced the broken turn signal switch. Thanks again for all of your help...
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2016 at 7:21am
That's GREAT Johnny !!!
Glad to see another AMC American pounding the pavement.

Keep having AMC Fun,
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic