TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SC/Rambler Headliner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote REBEL X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 9:10am
Hi Roger.
I helped a friend install his ABS headliner. I've done auto upholstery for over 45 years so I have some experience with different products.
My overall impression of the headliner is that it is good that someone has attempted to make a decent product for the SC/Rambler. It is a good product ( NOT plug and play ) but does require a fair bit of prep work and three patient people for the final installation. I wish it was thicker and moulded better to conform to the roof.
The roof reinforcing strip of your car should be up against the inside of the roof. Otherwise you will have to build up the inner roof to match the position of the reinforcing strip. We used high density closed cell foam to build up the inner roof surface. Our headliner project used over two quarts of contact cement applied with a glue spray gun. Some people use a cheap spray gun. My opinion is that using spray contact cement in a can won't be as effective and would take at least a dozen cans. $$$$.
The ABS headliner is rather flimsy and requires a good base to glue it to throughout otherwise it will sag where it is not glued.

I commend the people who have taken the initutive to repair or piece together their headliners. They have given some real good information and obviously have good patience and lots of talent.

My friend has a Rouge for his next project. He has a decent but worn headliner. It might be worth trying fiberglass resin to do some minor repair/reinforcing on the finished side. Worse case scenario is some wasted resin and some time. Experience and knowledge will be gained.

Good luck with your SC.
Thanks for selling me the Machine wheel. Wish you could have found the center.
Cheers!! Ron     REBEL X
67 Rebel SST 343 AT conv
68 Rebel 550 232 AT conv
68 Rebel 550 232 AT conv
68 Rebel SST 343 4 SP conv
68 Rebel SST 401 727 HT
70 Rebel SST 360 AT Wgn
70 Rebel SST 304 AT HT
70 Rebel Machine 390 AT
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2016 at 4:13pm
Ron,

Thanks for a truly detailed description of what you did with the headliner. What would be your thoughts about gluing the repop headliner over the stock headliner and installing them as a pair?

Glad you are satisfied with the wheel. I didn't realize you wanted a center. I think I have some of the '71 style but I tend to hold onto the '70.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
REBEL X View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBEL X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2016 at 8:52pm
I think that  glueing the repop to the original could be a good idea. The repop should be glued to the original with good contact cement  Use a contact that holds in high heat. Above 150 F. glue and then reglue both surfaces generously.
 The original headliner should be trimmed back a bit at the front,back and sides so that the overall thickness at the edges is not too thick. I would also cut away some of the original headliner around the sunvisors (after determining the location of the new sunvisor  mounting holes ) .
 There will be extra weight for the new headliner assembly so you will want to glue the assembly quite well to the inside of the roof. If your original headliner only had a felt type insulating material it could split or tear apart under the total weight of the headliner assembly. Replace the felt insulation with high density foam or closed cell foam. Glue the heck out it.
 Have at least 3 people to install the headliner.  5 would be best. 1 inside the car giving instructions, 4 , one on each corner LISTENING for instructions, holding the headliner while the person in the center fits the headliner in place and installs it front to back.

Hint. Test fit the headlining assembly dry to establish the exact location of holes for both sunvisors.
 Make the sunvisor mounting holes and the center holes in the new headliner. You can use the original headliner to determine the location of the holes IF the original headliner fit well.
 Use at least one long ice pick placed through the mounting holes on the headliner then thru the hole in the roof subframe.
Bring the headliner up to within a couple of inches of the roof. Check again that everything looks good and square. 
When your satisfied that your good to go start pressing the headliner to the roof structure from the front center to the sides. Keep working back. Always from center outwards. 

Any questions just email.

I have not had a chance to go to the border to get my wheel. When I went to the border to pick up other parts the UPS delivery for the day had not come yet. When I got home I was notified that my parcel was in. ARRRR. Oh well...

Although I would like a  70 center a 71 center will do the job for my application. If you have one/some available let me know please.

Cheers!!   Ron
67 Rebel SST 343 AT conv
68 Rebel 550 232 AT conv
68 Rebel 550 232 AT conv
68 Rebel SST 401 727 HT
70 Rebel SST 360 AT Wgn
70 Rebel SST 304 AT HT
70 Rebel Machine 390 AT
REBEL X View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBEL X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2016 at 8:58pm

Sorry. Use at least one long ice pick of 6" or longer on each side of the headliner ( left and right )  thru the sunvisor  mounting holes in the headliner then thru the corresponding holes in the roof structure.
67 Rebel SST 343 AT conv
68 Rebel 550 232 AT conv
68 Rebel 550 232 AT conv
68 Rebel SST 401 727 HT
70 Rebel SST 360 AT Wgn
70 Rebel SST 304 AT HT
70 Rebel Machine 390 AT
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 5:50am
Originally posted by REBEL X REBEL X wrote:

....I have not had a chance to go to the border to get my wheel. When I went to the border to pick up other parts the UPS delivery for the day had not come yet. When I got home I was notified that my parcel was in. ARRRR. Oh well...

Although I would like a  70 center a 71 center will do the job for my application. If you have one/some available let me know please.

Cheers!!   Ron

Ron,

Once more, thanks for the advice!  I've already deleted the PM's but I was sure that the UPS tracking indicated the wheel had been delivered in Pembina at noon on Friday which means it should have been there on Saturday when you arrived.  People wonder why I like the Post Office. 

I'll look for a center.  May be a while, work is a zoo right now.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 7:46am
A local guy who has done a few S/Cs told me after the car is painted he flips it upside down on his rotisserie and installs the headliner at that point. Sounds like a great idea if you are in a position to try it. Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
REBEL X View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBEL X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 9:05am
Roger.
 To be fair with UPS my trip to the border with my friend was mover up to Friday not Saturday as planned. His parts arrived early by mail and he required them immediately. My wheel did also arrive on Friday but about an hour after we left.

brownspirit, 
That is a great tip. Let gravity be your assistant. Thanks.

Cheers!!   REBEL X   
67 Rebel SST 343 AT conv
68 Rebel 550 232 AT conv
68 Rebel 550 232 AT conv
68 Rebel SST 401 727 HT
70 Rebel SST 360 AT Wgn
70 Rebel SST 304 AT HT
70 Rebel Machine 390 AT
ClassicCustom400 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClassicCustom400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 1:25am
The reproduction is not ABS, it is a Thermoplastic.  You cannot roll up an ABS plastic headliner for shipping.  Paving the way for future reproductions of other AMC model headliners.

They come in white only, with the correct waffle pattern for 1969, but will fit all Americans 1964-69.

Available at:
Galvin's AMC Rambler Parts
Kennedy American
American Parts Depot
JeepComancher
www.ClassicCustom400.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic