TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 Rogue Project - Auto Trans Diagnosis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nodak68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 7:28am
Farna--thanks much as always for the great advice. My dad is in town this weekend and we need a project, so I think we ought to be able to do the two-man diagnoses you laid out. I have already done a quick check with one wheel up, definitely play some slop, though I wasn't anle to isolate it yet. I am with you on the u joints--we will swap those out and see if any improvement, as by the looks of them I tjinl they are probably original with 122k ish on them. Will let you guys know how it goes after some work this weekend.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 7:53am
I bet one of the spider gears seized and broke the roll pin holding the cross shaft. But it could be anything, Changing the diff oil is not a bad idea anyway even if there is nothing wrong with it.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 8:17am
If you can get the 7.5 Ford Ranger that's they way to go. That's what I did to my American. Just setting the pinion angle and welding the perches is all that's required.

Most Ranger's have 3:73 gears which are a bit high but 2:73 (which is most probably what in the car now) gears are available. I changed mine.

Love my swap and now I have pos track too.
Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Nodak68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nodak68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 9:20am
Latest update after a weekend under the car:-)

- Replaced the U-Joints, some marginal improvement (though it could be in my head), but clunking still persists...think my next move there is to take it to a local shop and see what they come up with.  
- Trans mount not an issue
- Found the culprit in the shift linkage - bad bushing where shift rod connects to column.  Have yet to find a source for that part, so if any experience/ideas there, would greatly appreciate it.
- Topic for different thread...almost done with Scarebird front disk install...anxious to see how they work!

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 10:16am
I ran the phooey out of the stock inline six AMC 7 9/16" open diff rear in a 401 engine swapped Hornet with no failure; the car doubled as a tow car; it would smoke the right rear tire pulling the trailer, ~with traction bars~. Never broke it, but I did abuse the heck out of it; the car would smoke the right rear tire about 3/4 down the drag strip, finally 'hook up' & shift into third 'at the traps'. I tried putting bags of concrete in the trunk one time to make it get traction but the 401 would punish the tires anyway'/nothing seemed to make much difference...

so... unless  you plan to run slicks, IMO, the stock AMC 7 9/16" rear should do just fine

In Alto's big catalog, they make Red Eagle frictions for the earlier/smaller AMC aluminum case auto trans (Alto calls it 'BW35') this is one of the easiest transmissions to learn how to DIY, then you're free from getting seriously milked by any auto trans shop (typical rebuild kit only costs about $120... and they're so easy to do...)   
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 7:07pm
That shift grommet is something you don't find everywhere! It has to be tough -- a hardware store grommet won't last long, but will be great for a few months of driving. On one car I resorted to using nylon/plastic spacers and washers stacked and inserted to make a hard connection. Got a little rattle and vibration in the column shifter (this was on a stick car), and could see it move a little on acceleration and braking, but it shifted great! Try the AMC vendors... APD, Kennedy American, Galvins. One (or all) may have them. Pretty much the same for all AMC applications, but you may want to measure the hole diameter.

This common Chevy bushing looks like it might work. It's similar to the original -- rubber with a steel insert. The dimensions listed are obviously wrong -- no where is this thing 3.5" "long". You might be able to find one local -- lots of 80s and 890s GM applications.  Got these dimensions from anther site. Doesn't mention hole ID or size hole it fits, but the OD might help...
Width (in inches)
Outer Diameter (in inches)

Frank Swygert
Javelin69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 6:45pm
My son has a model 15 from his Gremlin he'd like to sell. It's in good shape complete drum to drum with all new brakes and hardware. PM if interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic