TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pushrod lengthen OR Shim??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar440cu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 6:34am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by mopar440cu mopar440cu wrote:

My Ford friends keep ribbing me saying it should of ran better due to the oil fill cap. Lol I tell them that's part of the problem. Lol. Just thought I would lighten this discussion up.. Lol

I can't resist.  "Have you ever read the book Ford Performance Secrets;  both pages?"
lol
This is America. What you believe is not the problem... What you believe I SHOULD BELIEVE is the problem!
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 9:35am
AMC has been out of production since 1988 of course and their engines were produced by Chrysler for quite a while, however the same valve train design including the lifters were used from the beginning of AMC V8's up through the end of production and as it happens, "some" mopar lifters are the same and others? Are not but it does pay to be able to recognize which ones are compatible. But the bottom line simply is, the non-adjustable valve train was designed to take advantage of the lifter tolerance so that you can install them and the valves and tighten them down and forget about it. That takes into account rebuilt engines, modified engine and new engines. Bolt them in and tighten them up.
If it was intended that they needed to be adjusted in some way or another the adjustments would have been designed in also.
So as long as you are installing a cam that works with in the tolerance built into the lifters which were supplied from who knows where, but are sold as AMC replacement parts, worrying about adjustments is a non-issue
The rule of thumb used for that was as long as valve lift is less than .5 inches, the non-adjustable valve train will work quite adequately.
That said, it has proven out to be true by both time and many engines. Including all of them I have built.
But
If you feel the need to get creative on adjustments, go for it, that is part of the hobby. Personally I am quite satisfied with the results I have had by bolting things together with out a problem.
As my preference in cams has been Iskenderian for the engines I build, when I order a cam, I also order a set of Iskenderian hydraulic lifters. As their cams and their lifters have worked as I expected them to along with out a failure I guess I am satisfied that I have been using a quality product.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 12:23pm
I think this whole issue is becoming convoluted. IMHO there are only two issues here.

1) Lifter preload: I fail to see how differences between lifters matter. The function of a hydraulic lifter is to compensate for thermal growth in the valve train and manufacturing tolerances. If the lifter fits the hole, is compatible with the cam, is adequately supplied with oil, and fits the pushrod used, then the only parameter left is preload. For a street engine I try to shoot for 0.030" between the pushrod socket and the retaining clip.

2) Rocker arm geometry: The height of the rocker arm pivot point is going to determine the contact pattern of the tip of the rocker with respect to the stem of the valve over the travel of the valve. There are a multitude of posts on rocker arm geometry on the forum and I'm not going to waste everybody's time repeating them. Enough to say that the height will affect the geometry.

In short, determine the height of the pivot to get the desired geometry and then determine the length of the pushrod to get the desired preload. It's as simple as that.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2016 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I think this whole issue is becoming convoluted. IMHO there are only two issues here.

1) Lifter preload: I fail to see how differences between lifters matter. The function of a hydraulic lifter is to compensate for thermal growth in the valve train and manufacturing tolerances. If the lifter fits the hole, is compatible with the cam, is adequately supplied with oil, and fits the pushrod used, then the only parameter left is preload. For a street engine I try to shoot for 0.030" between the pushrod socket and the retaining clip.

2) Rocker arm geometry: The height of the rocker arm pivot point is going to determine the contact pattern of the tip of the rocker with respect to the stem of the valve over the travel of the valve. There are a multitude of posts on rocker arm geometry on the forum and I'm not going to waste everybody's time repeating them. Enough to say that the height will affect the geometry.

In short, determine the height of the pivot to get the desired geometry and then determine the length of the pushrod to get the desired preload. It's as simple as that.

You are correct. John was just telling the OP to bolt it in and go because the factory designed the tolerances in. My point is that pushrod length will vary depending on lifter height and cam base circle. The OP's cam and lifters are NOT stock and therefore not original AMC. Either a pushrod change or shims will work for him but bolting it on and tightening till it stops is asking for big trouble. I build many AMC engines and always check for proper pre-load. We have one engine at the shop that was built by another shop. They just tightened like the book says. It broke the studs out of the head during break in. The OP is on the rite track. I would get new pushrods. The difference in the stand height will change the geometry a bit but on stock style slider rockers it is not as critical.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 2:31pm
AS long as the engine is OEM there is a basic rule of thumb that lets one bolt in a replacement cam using OEM service procedures and use OEM valve train components.

The rule of thumb must be followed as directed as must be OEM serviced.

If the valve train components for some reason are not OEM, then the extra effort of verifying operation must be validated.

I've stated right along, IF OEM Than you can bolt it in an go.
If the rule of thumb is being followed.

It makes it very easy to install an up graded cam in AMC engines due to their inherent design and come up with a quite nice performing street motor.

And actually it works quite well with others, but that is a different story.

I've got four engines running that way now and about to proceed on a fifth.

If one checks out a multitude of servicing procedures taken as supposedly Gospel, it can be found there are qualifies that will let them work, or not work depending on what is being discussed.
Leaving those qualifiers out in the explanation is the reason so many home projects end up in a salvage yard as unfinished and broken. But I guess that too is another story!

Edited by uncljohn - May/17/2016 at 2:36pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
ScrambledEgg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 6:21pm
Step 1: Remove hydraulic lifters and its cam
Step 2: Install screw in studs
Step 3: Install solid lifter cam
Step 4: Install Solid Lifters
Step 5: Set lash
Step 6: Throw hydraulic lifters as far as you can
Step 7: Never look back ever again
ScrambledEgg
mopar440cu View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar440cu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by ScrambledEgg ScrambledEgg wrote:

Step 1: Remove hydraulic lifters and its cam
Step 2: Install screw in studs
Step 3: Install solid lifter cam
Step 4: Install Solid Lifters
Step 5: Set lash
Step 6: Throw hydraulic lifters as far as you can
Step 7: Never look back ever again

LOLLOLI dont think I want to go that route.
This is America. What you believe is not the problem... What you believe I SHOULD BELIEVE is the problem!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic