TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Horrible scraping noise--what did I miss?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2016 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Rogerschro Rogerschro wrote:

Is the noise active while turning? Or is it static? What I mean is, does the noise only occure AS you turn the steering wheel or does it make the noise even when you stop turning the wheel through the turn?  If it is 'active' as you turn the steering wheel. I'd look at the steering shaft and linkages, such as the gear box, end links, tie rods etc. to see if those are the cause. If it is static, noise even if you are not actively turning the wheel, it is suspension/brake related. Also check the rear axle and suspension for play, as that can sound like front noise if you are thinking front.  Does the exhaust flex into the driveshaft?  Plenty of candidates for scraping noises. My dad had a car that ate motor mounts and that would flex off in turns and make an awful noise as it shifted during change in torque such as letting off or applying gas in a turn. 

I have noticed that the noise occurs as I turn the steering wheel.
Also, I have noticed that the noise isn't as loud if I go slower.

I have inspected all the visual components you have suggested and
can't find anything obvious.  There's only one place left:  trunnion.
The trunnion was overhauled a couple of years ago, yet the noise
began well before the overhaul.

I may have a favorite alignment shop take a look at it, as they don't charge
for inspections, only physical work.

No one has commented on the d/s strut rod bushing listed in the first post.
Could this be an issue? If I take this apart, do I most likely need an alignment?
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2016 at 10:21pm
Power steering? Take the belt off and see if the noise goes away. It could be the pump or gear. It will be hard to turn, but won't hurt anything.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2016 at 12:54am
Steve: I believe you may very well need an alignment adjustment if you remove and replace the strut rod bushings. Good to have your shop check it. Did you check out the d/s coil spring, particularly if it is original?

Matt
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2016 at 8:40am
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

Power steering? Take the belt off and see if the noise goes away. It could be the pump or gear. It will be hard to turn, but won't hurt anything.

Bob
tufcj

I don't have ps.
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2016 at 8:42am
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Steve: I believe you may very well need an alignment adjustment if you remove and replace the strut rod bushings. Good to have your shop check it. Did you check out the d/s coil spring, particularly if it is original?

Matt

Matt--the d/s coil spring is original and was R and R-ed when the trunnion was serviced....maybe it's moving, but it wouldn't move, would it, when turning the steering wheel?
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2016 at 12:19pm
Most probably only up and down depending on how fast the turn.  Like you stated, you have narrowed it down.  My guess is the trunnion, lower or upper control arms bushings, or remotely, the steering gear box.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic