TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M8 center support bushing resolved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M8 center support bushing resolved
    Posted: Apr/27/2016 at 3:27pm
I've got everything ready to go back together except I need a new bushing for the center support. I've contacted Northwest and they have been very nice and sent me what they have along with all the other parts I needed. Unfortunately they don't have a bushing that fits.

The one I need has an oil groove down the center with oil holes that match the groove in the center support. The only one they have been able to come up with that's the right diameter does not have the oil groove or oil holes and it's not quite as wide. They sent me a second one that does have the groove and holes, but it's not the right diameter. ID is good, but the OD is too small and it falls right through the support.

Apparently the difference is the one or two stage ability, starting off either from first or second. I guess the Ramber configuration used the single stage size bushing (only starting off in second), but modified with the added oiling. At least that's my understanding. Regardless, I hate to put this bushing back in it just looks rough.

Edited by dogbone - May/03/2016 at 8:35pm
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2016 at 6:12pm
Check with someone in the Studebaker Driver's Club and see what their source is for BW parts.  They used the trannies too, for many years although the shifting options may have been different.  The Studebaker hobby is still pretty flush with parts I have heard.  Possibly because Lee Iacocca was not involved in their brand.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2016 at 8:00am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Check with someone in the Studebaker Driver's Club and see what their source is for BW parts.  They used the trannies too, for many years although the shifting options may have been different.  The Studebaker hobby is still pretty flush with parts I have heard.  Possibly because Lee Iacocca was not involved in their brand.  Joe

Thanks for the heads up. I checked the Studebaker forum and several over there had purchased parts from Fatsco in NJ. They weren't on my radar so I called this this morning and they do have the bushing. Were very familiar with the transmission and what makes one bushing correct or not. Hopefully they are right and it's the correct one. Keeping my fingers crossed. They also had the dished steels so I'm getting those as well. 

Thanks for the lead.
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2016 at 2:22pm
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2016 at 11:36pm
Well, I've come to the conclusion, after getting some dimensions from fasco that the bushing they have is basically the same one I got from Northwest which will not fit. The ID is correct and seems to be the same on all of them, but the OD is what is different-- it's too small to fit in the center support. It falls right through. 

Both places say that there are only two sizes, one with the sprag clutch and one without. I'm wondering if AMC specified something a little different on the BW trans they used? Maybe a little different since they were using the D2 D1 shift option? 

My option is to see if Fasco has a used center support designed for a BW with a sprag clutch. That should work.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 1:59pm
slauson is another supplier I have used, although I have not used them for old stuff. Not sure what they carry for older parts. I have worked on several older similar transmissions but not lately. My guess would be that someone in the past has worked on it and combined parts from several transmissions. Hard to say what. I would bet that the correct bushing is out there, but someone at a supplier is going to have to search through bushing sets to find it. Maybe an fmx or older cruisomatic. 
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 11:39am
Just for the heck of it I installed the solid non oil hole/groove bearing in the center support. It fit fine though it was a little narrower than the original. I drilled it and cut a oil groove by hand just to see if I could do it. Well, it's in there but it looks like crap. It would probably work and lubricate properly but for the little extra I'm not going to use it. Called Fasco back and he has what he said looks like a new center support with bearing. He's sending it down. That way I won't have to worry over my crappy handy work. 

If you had some way to turn the whole center support and cut the groove, like a lathe, this would be a good fix. I was trying to hand hold a dremel. I got the hang of it about half way through so part of it looks decent.
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 8:35pm
well, new center support came in today. Looks different from the original, but the dimensions seem to be the same. Guessing it was for a later model when they were trying to trim some costs. Only real issue is the sharp corner on the edge rather than the radius on the original. Can't really slip the the sprag clutch over it like that. Ended up grinding a bevel around the edge and it slips on easily now. 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2016 at 7:22am
So the top photo of the support with the three rectangular holes around it is the new one, or the old?  I doubt the lack of an oil groove would be an issue. A lot of the older stuff was over engineered, with changes made to reduce costs later... when further testing revealed it could be done without compromising longevity and reliability. Early BW autos have a rear pump turned by the driveshaft. They can be push started (not pulled -- when the engine starts the vehicle will surge forward) or flat towed with the wheels on the ground and trans in neutral (but not too far... 100 miles shouldn't be an issue, not sure I'd go much more, or even that far unless absolutely necessary...). This pump was later removed to save costs, and how many people still push started cars? 
Frank Swygert
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2016 at 8:00am
I agree on the over engineered. The top one is the replacement, lower one is the original. The original was a fully machined piece. The upper one is stamped steel with a welded in race for the sprag. They also machined the outer edge so it makes a good fit in the case. The trouble I had with getting the correct part is the original one has a slightly different bore size. The new one seems to fit well and after grinding a slight bevel went in easily. Apparently the sprag clutch was the key to which type of bearing was used. Maybe it helps with lubrication for it rather than the inside of the bearing surface as you might normally expect.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic