TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

quick ratio power steering gear box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: quick ratio power steering gear box
    Posted: Mar/31/2016 at 9:44am
While reading a post about rag joints I was directed to Rockauto's site.

I found the rag joint info interesting, but even more interesting was what I found for power steering gearboxes.

A three bolt mount box that's listed under 70 Javelin that has 2.5 turns lock to lock. $212 with $50 core charge

Isn't there a box that's even quicker than this?

Whatcha think??

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2016 at 11:17am
Does a 3 bolt box work with the '70 or does it need the 4 bolt box?

I have a 3 bolt 12:1 box on my '74 Javelin, but only 2 bolts on the box worked with the stock bracket. Wasn't comfortable with that, so modified the frame and bracket to mount it using 3 bolts. Would have been best to go with a 4-bolt box.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2016 at 12:05pm
IIRC, the 70 saginaw box is a four bolt box but only three bolts are used to mount it on the 70 Jav/AMX, does that sound right guys?
Anyways, I do remember some discussion about all of this in past posts, and I was hoping someone with experience could comment. I'll try to look.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2016 at 12:20pm
The 70 AMX power steering box uses 3 bolt provisions to attach. Both of the top ones and the lower one closet to the firewall. The front lower bolt provision is not used.

I have a 4 bolt AGR steering box on my 70 AMX and I modified the mounting of it to use all 4 bolt provisions on the steering box. I have always said, "there's nothing wrong with a little overkill"!!

Dennis   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2016 at 12:29pm
I have found the best box to use is either a legit Camaro Z-28 box or a legit Trans Am WS6 box..  My current rat project has a WS6 box with 2.4 lock to lock. It's quick and the turning radius is not as tight as the factory box BUT on the road it's 1000% better IMHO
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic