TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

aw4 swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 2:12pm
Thanks Bob. I figured that was probably the case but wanted to be sure. Going to check out the local Pick & Pull today.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 7:14pm
They changed overdrive ratio's sometime in 1991.

Also, the 4x4 version got a larger output shaft (21 spline old vs 23 spline new) at the same time.

I don't know if the 2wd output changed though.

Some(most? all?) years used a stand alone control computer for the transmission (like SC397 said),

I'm not sure if eventually they incorporated that in the main ECU or not.

Farna would know.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 9:09pm
Quite a few pre '91 Cherokees at the Pick & Pull today, but none of them 2WD.

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 3:48am
For my 71 SST, I picked a RWD Toyota A340 from a 2000 Cherokee Sport and tore it down for inspection and overhaul. Took me two days to pull it loose from the donor. It was quite the chore and a bunch of things got in my way before I could order a rebuild kit and a few modules. I don't care about the ECU since I'll be using an electronic solenoid shifter similar to the Winters shifter and merge that control to work with the original warp style shifter. It will be a fully manual system, as it deserves.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 6:15am
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

For my 71 SST, I picked a RWD Toyota A340 from a 2000 Cherokee Sport and tore it down for inspection and overhaul. Took me two days to pull it loose from the donor. It was quite the chore and a bunch of things got in my way before I could order a rebuild kit and a few modules. I don't care about the ECU since I'll be using an electronic solenoid shifter similar to the Winters shifter and merge that control to work with the original warp style shifter. It will be a fully manual system, as it deserves.

Why refer to it as it's Toyota equivalent designation?

The AW4 was put into Cherokees before Borg Warner sold their interest in Aisin Warner to Toyota and the company changed names.

Toyota does have controlling interest now,
but my understanding is Borg Warner had more to do with designing the AW4 in the 1980's than Aisin, or Toyota did.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 6:36am
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

Hmmm, how many splines on the output shaft? I did see a really nice 2000 Cherokee today. It was so nice, I was thinking it was a real shame it got scrapped.

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 8:24am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Why refer to it as it's Toyota equivalent designation?

Two parts designation from the usual Chrysler catastrophe and one part mental note. The AW4 is something I find discussed with wheelers and crawlers in the form of endless gripes and moans. I think 4WD when I hear AW4 and RWD with any other title. It's another transmission with a million names. The one I specifically pulled is commonly known as the A340 or 30-43LE. It features the deep 1st and reverse gears.
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

my understanding is Borg Warner had more to do with designing the AW4 in the 1980's than Aisin, or Toyota did.

You either have a good eye, brain or both. You can find evidence of Borg Warner's engineering in the simple compact construction, HD design and the tendency for the exterior to almost magnetically attract 20+ years of yuck that seems to require 2+ hours with a brush or scraper to peel away. Also, detachable bell housing. Common only to rare OLD automatics like my FMX/Cruiso anchor.
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Hmmm, how many splines on the output shaft?

27 but that's unimportant. The important part is that it's SLIP YOLK. Just remember when you're pulling the transmission to get the end attached to the driveshaft before you bring everything up to the counter and you'll be fine. Also, make sure you get an oil pan that hasn't been punched through like every anxious yard monkey tends to do to these within a week of entry to whatever row.
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

I did see a really nice 2000 Cherokee today. It was so nice, I was thinking it was a real shame it got scrapped.

Row52 is either screwing with me or the 71 Gremlin in the Sherwood yard is getting scrapped today. I really wanted to go check that out for parts. Ermm
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 3:51pm
You can order a trans yoke for $100 new from most Jeep parts places. I just got a new one a few months ago. Found out that a GM yoke will fit the splines (don't know which...), but it's a few thousandth smaller -- just enough that along with some vibration it won't seal well. Could just have been the vibration from mine though, internal splines were damaged and it wasn't slipping like it should. Found that the GM yoke fits when I had the shop lengthen my shaft a bit (thought that was causing the vibrations -- wasn't, but still needed to be a bit longer). Thought I had the old 88 Jeep yoke, but shop quickly identified it as a GM. I knew it was different than the new replacement!

All the AW4 trannys work the same. Around 99 or so the controller is integrated with the engine controller though, so look for the controller if a 99 or later. The little box should be under or behind the glove box. A 200x trans will work with an earlier controller. The early controllers have a performance/economy switch that makes a slight change in shift speeds. The later ones just wire it to be in performance mode all the time -- you can hardly tell the difference.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic