TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone running the Comp Cams 292?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2016 at 9:55pm
You are on the right track. 292H is a higher RPM cam. The Howard's cam you posted is slightly warmer than stock. It will make good low end torque where you need it off-road. 268H Comp High Energy Cam is another good choice for an off-road 401. It's a dated design, but it is a proven torque cam, especially in 400+ CID.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2016 at 9:57pm
Here is a video when i used to run the 292 before switching over to a mech. cam.  to radical for 4wheeling    https://youtu.be/_LThF6v7seg
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2016 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by RamblinMan RamblinMan wrote:

You are on the right track. 292H is a higher RPM cam. The Howard's cam you posted is slightly warmer than stock. It will make good low end torque where you need it off-road. 268H Comp High Energy Cam is another good choice for an off-road 401. It's a dated design, but it is a proven torque cam, especially in 400+ CID.
I think the 268h is a far better choice
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
steinercj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steinercj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2016 at 6:47am
I'm curious why the engine builder wants to use the 292. Does he want the challenge of making an ill advised cam choice/vehicle usage work? I run the 292 in a car with a 360 with 10.5-1comp, 3500 stall etc. I also have a CJ that I on road/off road. I think I would be really unhappy with that cam for off roading unless it was a higher rpm tire spinning mudder.
cw05 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2016 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by steinercj5 steinercj5 wrote:

I'm curious why the engine builder wants to use the 292. Does he want the challenge of making an ill advised cam choice/vehicle usage work? I run the 292 in a car with a 360 with 10.5-1comp, 3500 stall etc. I also have a CJ that I on road/off road. I think I would be really unhappy with that cam for off roading unless it was a higher rpm tire spinning mudder.

Not sure on that one....I wanted a cam 'a little more aggressive from stock but still have maximum torque at low RPM'.  That line is taken verbatim from my initial email to him.  This is my first engine that I've had built so I was largely ignorant of cam design specifics and did not specify a particular cam that I wanted.  I think the 292 is just a cam that he has used a lot in all of his AMX and Javelin builds over the years and he is comfortable with using it.    

Edited by cw05 - Sep/19/2016 at 5:43pm
cw05 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2016 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

You think a 268H is a better choice than the custom cam spec's I listed or just better than the 292 for my needs?  They look pretty similiar at .050 except for LSA (110 on the comp vs. 107 on mine) and valve lift (0.456 on the comp vs .531 on mine).

I've enjoyed watching your youtube videos.  Nice to see someone else building AMC's that shares their knowledge on these motors.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2016 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by cw05 cw05 wrote:

Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

You think a 268H is a better choice than the custom cam spec's I listed or just better than the 292 for my needs?  They look pretty similiar at .050 except for LSA (110 on the comp vs. 107 on mine) and valve lift (0.456 on the comp vs .531 on mine).

I've enjoyed watching your youtube videos.  Nice to see someone else building AMC's that shares their knowledge on these motors.
 If you want my honest opinion i`m not a really big fan of Comp Cam`s...There are a lot of choices out there...I was very happy with the 292 in my wagon but i wanted a solid lifter cam so i had Schneider grind one for me...My son chose the Comp Cam 280 for his 360 and it came with the machine work unfinished...so we put a Schneider cam in it very satisfied...I had a 401 given to me from a cj7 it was a 10.1 with fully ported heads they were running a Comp Cams 270 4 deg advanced...they loved the combo for 4 wheeling down in Arkansas...
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2016 at 6:54am
A Comp 292 is a very big hydraulic cam, 244 degrees IIRC. If you want a cam that big consider a solid. Usually hydraulics that big don't rpm as well as they should as the lifters have difficulty supporting the high rpm and you lose rpm range. Maximum torque at low rpm does not compute with 244 degrees intake duration @ .050.
hutch1200 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hutch1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2017 at 7:23pm
I love mine in my CJ7. I swapped the 3 speed T150 for a Ford T18 w/a granny 6.32 1st gear. It will crawl on 35s & 4.11s. Just before paint. Pacesetter in frame headers, 2.5" SS pipes & MagnaFlow mufflers.

https://youtu.be/gfEGPIQXkx4

Stock bore, still had the cross-hatching @91k. Forged Bull tear 10.75 pistons, H Sharp roller rockers & lifters, Air Gap, Holley 670 truck avenger,HEI, Oil Mod,& 40+hours of porting/polishing and most importantly PORT MATCHING!!

Edited by hutch1200 - Mar/24/2017 at 8:02pm
cw05 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by hutch1200 hutch1200 wrote:

I love mine in my CJ7. I swapped the 3 speed T150 for a Ford T18 w/a granny 6.32 1st gear. It will crawl on 35s & 4.11s. Just before paint. Pacesetter in frame headers, 2.5" SS pipes & MagnaFlow mufflers.

https://youtu.be/gfEGPIQXkx4

Stock bore, still had the cross-hatching @91k. Forged Bull tear 10.75 pistons, H Sharp roller rockers & lifters, Air Gap, Holley 670 truck avenger,HEI, Oil Mod,& 40+hours of porting/polishing and most importantly PORT MATCHING!!

What are you going to run for brakes?  The stock CJ booster doesn't work great with a cam that has that much overlap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic