TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Powder coating a flex fan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc401t10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2016 at 10:56am
Thanks for the pic, what did these come on?
1-owner 74 gremlin x 401, t10,3.73 12 bolt,750carb,reed 250@50 cam, roller rockers,msd,offy int.
72 amc matador 401 727
84 j10 ,360, 727
1970 4-door rebel sleeper(455 pontiac,turbo 400)
79 spirit,4.2
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2016 at 11:32am
That`s the same fan i run..hard to beat it`s ability to pull air and cool...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2016 at 11:33am
Originally posted by amc401t10 amc401t10 wrote:

Thanks for the pic, what did these come on?
mine came off a 74 ambassador with a 360 and ac
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
flamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2016 at 7:54pm
I had 2 done.   70 AMX 390 & 78 CJ5 Golden Eagle with a 304 and it looks great and no peal at all.  The powder coat place said they do lots of fans with no problems.  This was a commercial size operation.   Huge place.  They do car frames etc.  and endless  stacks of aluminum railings for buildings.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2016 at 8:21pm
I would be more concerned about taking the temper out of the blades by glass beading/sand blasting the blades.  I only use plastic beads or walnut shells on the blades and glass on any spots that are rusty.......that is my experience and I use Seymour Universal Black Engine Paint for a coating...flexible, high temp and very durable.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2016 at 6:45am
Powder coating ovens won't take the temper out of the blades. You'd have to go to around  500 degrees to do that. From Wikipedia:

"Tempering quenched-steel at very low temperatures, between 66 and 148 °C (151 and 298 °F), will usually not have much effect other than a slight relief of some of the internal stresses. Tempering at higher temperatures, from 148 to 205 °C (298 to 401 °F), will produce a slight reduction in hardness, but will primarily relieve much of the internal stresses. Tempering in the range of 260 and 340 °C (500 and 644 °F) causes a decrease in ductility and an increase in brittleness, and is referred to as the "tempered martensite embrittlement" (TME) range."

Quenched steel is a hardened steel. This is a critical statement:
"One-step embrittlement usually occurs in carbon steel at temperatures between 230 °C (446 °F) and 290 °C (554 °F), and was historically referred to as '500 degree [Fahrenheit] embrittlement'."

So stay below 400 degrees and you should be fine as far as affecting steel strength. The hard powder coating could still crack and flake off.
Frank Swygert
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2016 at 8:23am
I had my factory flex fan powder coated years ago and it's been running on the car since 2011.  No flaking off.  A nice thing is the bugs clean off real nice, if your into doing a detail clean-up.
Also all powder coating really is, is a spray plastic coating.  I've had some powder coatings that had a high rubber content in them, but have not found a coater that can find that anymore.  I would go for it.

Steve
orignal owner
1971 Javelin AMX
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2016 at 9:09am
Frank.....not temper in the sense of Heat Treatment (I think I misused the term for this discussion and agree that Powder Coating Temps are far from having any negative effect on the blade materials), but rather using abrasive blasting will Stress Relieve each side of the thin Stainless Blade and change it's shape. The problem is you can not equally abrasive blast the blade on both sides, so each blade will have "effectively" a different pitch (or bite of air)..making a 7 blade fan act like a 6 or 5 or 4 or less blade fan. I see this happen at times when Shot Peening materials that are too thin and the compressive stresses damage the part, rather then strengthen it. Think of Shot Peening and Glass or Sand Blasting as a like technique, just with different mediums......you are using set air pressure to move a particle (Sand, Glass bead or Steel Shot) at a fixed object. This is illustrated by how Shot Peening intensity is measured, usually via a Almen Test Strip. The test strip is has a known thickness, hardness, size and flatness.....when the test strip is struck with a specific media size for a specific time, intensity (velocity) it will bend from compression of the metal on one side. That "arc" is measured to determine if the proper values are being used....or need adjusted..such as longer time or higher intensity. Sorry to ramble on here, but since we can not be so exact with Glass or Sand on a thin fan blade, the amount of "arc" is very non-precision. The glass/sand media breaks down and is never consistent, air pressure varies....even the angle that the particle hit the surface can make large variances. I have personally had several customers bring me fans "ready" for paint...or have already painted and all the blades are not on the same plane....will not lay flat on work bench.

Here is a picture of the Almen Test Strips before and after Peening.

Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2016 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by 71 Javelin AMX O.O. 71 Javelin AMX O.O. wrote:

I had my factory flex fan powder coated years ago and it's been running on the car since 2011.  No flaking off.  A nice thing is the bugs clean off real nice, if your into doing a detail clean-up.
Also all powder coating really is, is a spray plastic coating.  I've had some powder coatings that had a high rubber content in them, but have not found a coater that can find that anymore.  I would go for it.

Steve
orignal owner
1971 Javelin AMX

Steve...

Yours is not a typical test condition since your motors RPM range is from idle to 1800 RPM's.
OK... There was that one time you got crazy and it hit 2100 RPM's but only for 1/2 a second. Wink

Sorry.... Couldn't resist... Besides.... I'm jealous of that Mustard Yellow beauty.

Rich C. 
JLowe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2016 at 9:51pm
I just did the fan on my 390, and instead of blasting it I immersed it in a container of apple cider vinegar and let it sit for a day. Took it out, rinsed it off, and watched the rust fall off in sheets. Then I soaked it in a water/baking soda mix, and POR15 metal prepped it. Then I sprayed it with the POR15 chassis black. Looks awesome. Next step with be a satin clear for added durability.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic