TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Brake pedal goes to the floor......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Posimoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2016 at 7:41pm
If my math is correct I need a 1 1/4" bore MC
Front piston 3.375" rear 3.146"
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 12:34pm
Ok got to ask why a line lock on the rear?
Also you said "ball valve" is this for open/closing the line lock?
Got a picture of this line lock valve so we can see it?

OK using GM? calipers out back is there an adjustment like turning the piston to get it closer to the pad(s)this could be why the peddle needs to be pumped. Like adjusting shoes they have to be close to the drum before you can bleed and get a good peddle.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Posimoto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Posimoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 4:26pm

Thanks for the reply Dave,

Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Ok got to ask why a line lock on the rear?

To use as an e-brake. I understand it isn't as safe as a traditional e-brake but it works for my needs.

Also you said "ball valve" is this for open/closing the line lock?

Yes

Got a picture of this line lock valve so we can see it?

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/86857505

OK using GM? calipers out back is there an adjustment like turning the piston to get it closer to the pad(s)this could be why the peddle needs to be pumped. Like adjusting shoes they have to be close to the drum before you can bleed and get a good peddle.
Dave ----

Yes GM,

Originally posted by Posimoto Posimoto wrote:

I already inspected the calipers and brackets, they work as they should. The piston and pad is positioned correctly against the rotor.

I'm fairly certain I need more volume, the numbers I'm running call for a 1 1/4” bore. I'll make some calls tomorrow to double check.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 7:31pm
What's the application for the master cylinder? Also what's the application for the rear calipers? You say GM but what do they fit? It sounds to me like you're using the wrong master or there's something wrong in the rear brakes. I'm using stock front calipers and Cadillac rear calipers, with the e brake setup in them, a stock AMC master with 1 1/8" bore with no issues so I'm confused as to why your system isn't working right.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Posimoto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Posimoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 1:08pm
Your cadillac rear calipers have a piston diameter of either 2.121" (small caliper) or 2.497" (large caliper).  As mentioned I'm running 3.375" in the front and 3.146" rears.

My front and rear calipers work as they should, no issues there. I'm confident the air has been removed from the system, the only thing that remains is volume. When I talk to wilwood the first time the tech recommended a 1 1/8" bore MC.

After looking at my numbers I believe I need a larger 1 1/4" bore MC as I previously mentioned. I called wilwood tech again this morning, talked to a different tech and he agreed it sounds like a volume problem, and after punching in the numbers recommended a 1 1/4" bore MC.

I also found out they don't offer the 1 1/4" bore MC so maybe that is why the first tech I talked to recommended a 1 1/8" bore, or maybe he typed in a wrong number.

I'm running a Chrysler PB, unlike the AMC booster that can run GM the Chrysler runs ford.
MC 78 Mercury Marquis (1 1/8" bore disc/disc application)
F- calipers K30
R- caliper K20 

Looking around this morning I found a 97 ford 250 disc/dics w/o cruise MC that should work. I'm sure there is more as well.

Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 2:32pm
Those are some big caliper pistons (stock KH 2.75" & small Bendix 2.6" used 1" bore master, big Bendix 3.1" had 1 1/8" master).
If you had a 2:1 volume ratio master, not surprised it didn't work. Likely need 1:1 with that combo.

Hope you have an adjustable proportioning valve and severely limit rear pressure or your rears are likely to lock up under medium-to-hard braking and spin the tail around. A smaller rear caliper piston would generally be a better match.
http://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/uploads/98-1261-Brake-Proportioning-Valve_.pdf

Keep it safe,RD.
Posimoto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Posimoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 2:36pm
Yes, adjustable proportioning valve. Thanks for the link.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic