TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Media blast?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herculese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Media blast?
    Posted: Aug/16/2007 at 11:34am
Question on my 77 Gremlin X. The car has its original paint. Now I plan to repaint original color. paint is all there and intact but oxidized pretty badly. Sitting in the new mexico desert hasnt been nice to the paint. SOOOO strip it or somehow seal ocer it and paint over it? Thanks, Vinnie
Introducing the Rebel "MACHINE"
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2007 at 12:56pm
I personally would try to paint over the original paint if it is not destroyed. This will save the factory baked on primer. If it is cracked beyound use, you will need to remove the paint completly but if you only sand it, you might be able to retain some of the primer. I had my 72 media blasted completly, but my goals for the car required a completly stripped shell anyway. Blasting requires you to remove almost everything. My car had some hidden bodywork and some surface rust where the vinyl T top roof area was and I chose media blasting for my car based on my goals. It cost me $1400 to have my rolling shell blasted with various media used for various areas.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Herculese View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herculese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2007 at 12:58pm
paint is not cracked just faded and oxidized. Dont want to paint it and have trouble down the road. Thanks, Vinnie
Introducing the Rebel "MACHINE"
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2007 at 3:56pm
Vinnie,

I just touched up the paint (and repainted the fenders) on my 77 Gremlin X.  Sun Orange was the color.   I used PPG epoxy primer under the PPG Concept two stage paint on the fenders after sanding and degreasing them thoroughly.    No clear coat. It came out OK.  I didn't bother to buff out the paint so there's some orange peel.   For the rest of the car, I just buffed out the old paint, which came out very good, and touched it up in a few spots.

I would advise you to consult with your paint jobber to get the complete paint system he recommends for painting over the old paint.  I did not use a special sealer, just the epoxy primer, but it came out OK.  I probably could or should have used a sealer too, but the DP primer's from PPG can function as sealer's too.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2007 at 12:24am
Vinnie, I am with everyone else here, if the original paint is still good (not checked and or seriously damaged) I would use it for a base for your new paint. Nothing beats the original, factory paint for durability. If the car was repainted or the original paint is in poor condition with lots of cracks and surface damage, then you would want to media blast....
Dave J. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2007 at 1:08pm
I also am in agreement here, just be sure as others have said to rough up the paint surface for adhesion
of the new paint and also be sure to degrease the surface or you could end up with fish eyes etc.

Regards.

Edited by Dave J. - Aug/19/2007 at 1:09pm
Dave...
"69 AMX" Go-Pak
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2007 at 2:33pm
Yes, the oxidation only goes "so deep" and you can sand through that to a stable surface.
I've yet to see a problem painting new paint, even new technologies, over old paint, as long as it's prepped correctly and either you, or your painter knows their stuff. (I talked to a few guys before my Javelin fiasco, and they all said "no reason to remove factory finish, the new paint won't have a problem with it")
I'd leave blasting as a last resort. It's messy, trust me...... and if it's not totally devoid of all the media and dust when they or you go to paint, well, I can show you.............
Sand it good, prep it with a good prep - they make chemicals just for stripping off grease and oils, etc. Silicon is especially nasty!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic