TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need some advice as I add AC to my Ambassador

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 6:39am
I've had air flow issues. Running a big three core radiator and twin 12" electric pull through fans. Had to add a 9" electric blow through to the front. That helped when stuck in traffic, but still not enough! I just bought a Ford Contour V6 fan setup to try, but not sure it will fit. Found that a Probe and late model Cougar have the same dual fan setup, four cylinder Contour uses a single fan. OEM fans are usually a lot stronger than the aftermarket fans -- unless you spend big money on something like a Spal fan. Paid $35 tax and all at a local Pull-A-Part yard for the dual Contour fans. Hope they will fit and be enough. I had a big single Taurus fan on the two core radiator and it was more than enough, but with the thicker three core it won't fit! I only had about 1/4" between fan motor and water pump pulley, the three core radiator is about 3/8" thicker...

There are other OEM fans you could make work. Found some in later Fords, but the shroud is part of the radiator support/front sheet metal. Would have needed a spacer between fan housing and radiator, but they weren't too thick and will pull more air than the mid priced aftermarket fans. The dual 12" pull plenty as long as the AC isn't on and I'm sitting in traffic. In normal traffic on a hot day where I can run 35-40 between lights for a minute or two the dual 12" alone are enough, though temp will start to creep up. Can go 10 minutes or so in traffic before it starts to get around 220. The added 9" holds that off another 5 minutes or so. I think with another 9" it won't go over 220, but will try the Contour setup first.

Why 9" in front? That's the biggest I can fit there. I have the 9" on a toggle switch for now. Note that many Mercedes and a few other imports (Audi... maybe a couple Volvo models) use a front mount fan if you need some "help" with air flow. All the same price at Pull-A-Part.

I did have to upgrade the radiator to run AC though. The original two core just wasn't enough, no matter the air flow. Temp would creep up on really hot (over 90) humid days even cruising down the interstate. Now it's just when stuck in traffic and not moving. Get on the road at 40+ for a couple minutes and temp starts dropping.
Frank Swygert
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 9:14am
The White70Javelin went through a complete conversion.
The car now has all o-ring style connections for the hoses and components.
The hoses are stainless steel braided barrier hose.
Sanden style compressor.
Aftermarket filter/drier/accumulator with high/low pressure switch.
The condenser is from a 74 Javelin. NOS. It has o-ring fittings.
The evaporator was converted to o-ring fittings by removing the old brass flare fitting and flared copper tube and installing new copper o-ring tube end and a machined brass flare o-ring fitting that began life as an iron pipe size male thread to flare adapter fitting..
Look for my posts in the HVAC section if interested.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic