TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

McLeod clutch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by 3904speed 3904speed wrote:

Rd: how heavy is the car that you are running this Street twin ?
I am thinking my week link will be the T10 !
RST or street twin Hummmm?
Thanks Godspeed

Mine is in a '74 Javelin AMX behind a 401 with street solid roller cam and Indy SR heads. it's coupled to a T56 Magnum (rated 700 lbf.ft, 7500rpm shifting). I bought the street twin kit directly from McLeod as an overstock sale item and was about same cost as an SFI flywheel and regular clutch kit at the time.  

When I called them and told them of wanting consistent shifting at 6500 rpm+, they recommended to go with the borg&beck long PP rather than the diaphragm. It is non-adjustable but does have the Long counterweight-style levers adapted to a B&B cover.  

An aluminum flywheel will make more difference in shifting speed than a smaller disc. Best would be a lightened aluminum flywheel and smaller dual or triple discs and dog-ring style sliders rather than synchros, but not the most street friendly.

If you're pushing 600hp + 200hp N2O, a non-slipper clutch and steel flywheel is likely to scatter stock T10 bits all over the track. Make sure you have an SFI bell and transmission blanket or upgrade the transmission.    

IIRC, SKeown runs an upgraded T10 with adjustable Advanced clutch in his 10s AMX and just dials the pressure up for street use. Maybe he'll chime in or you could PM him?

Hope this helps, RD. 

Edited by Red Devil - Jan/22/2016 at 10:40pm
JodysTransmissions View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodysTransmissions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 9:46pm
Here is what I have learned over the years; the weight of a flywheel will not make a transmission shift faster or slower. The flywheel does not add weight to the rotating mass of the transmission, but the disc or discs weight attached to the transmission input shaft will effect shifting speeds.

We have been building aluminum flywheel drivelines for 20+ years, I have them in my personal cars and love it, but they are not for everyone! You must have the correct gearing to make an aluminum flywheel work on the street.

Aluminum flywheel engineering facts: for every one pound removed from a flywheel will make your vehicle react as if it is 100lbs lighter. So, if your stock flywheel is 30lbs and you install a 15lb flywheel, your girl will react like she is 1500lbs lighter.

You have a great point, pushing a 45 year old T10 with 600-800hp will surely stress that old girl!
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 10:46pm

Agree that smaller diameter discs should help with the clutch disengaged and fully decoupled from the flywheel ... but that's not the fastest way to shift.

Sorry if I didn't make my point well, but basically saying you would notice more difference between a steel and aluminum flywheel then you would between the 10.5" and 9.688" discs.   

My street twin was 38lbs complete including aluminum flywheel, floater, discs, PP, fasteners.   Still heavy by race standards.

Edit: I drove it this summer with a 2.66 1st gear, 3.15 rear gears, a 250@0.050" cam that idles at 850 rpm and hasn't got much low end torque. Worked fine, but will be better with more rear gear or less cam (... rear axle with better gearing hasn't made it into the budget). 

Thanks, RD

Edited by Red Devil - Jan/18/2016 at 8:10am
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by JodysTransmissions JodysTransmissions wrote:

Here is what I have learned over the years; the weight of a flywheel will not make a transmission shift faster or slower. The flywheel does not add weight to the rotating mass of the transmission, but the disc or discs weight attached to the transmission input shaft will effect shifting speeds.

We have been building aluminum flywheel drivelines for 20+ years, I have them in my personal cars and love it, but they are not for everyone! You must have the correct gearing to make an aluminum flywheel work on the street.

So, Jody, what are the main advantages/disadvantages of an aluminum flywheel vs. an OEM cast iron flywheel?
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic