TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Firewall Access Panel Sealer suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 1:44pm
I know this is an old post, but how have you all restored these plates?  I hate to put mine in the blast cabinet as I'm afraid it will take away from the original look.  Just clean it good and seal with clear?
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 2:04pm
As far as cleaning it up, if you blast it with Plastic Beads NOT an ABRASIVE, you will not dmage the original Galvanize Finish.  These were stamped from a fresh USS (United State Steel Corp) sheet and the edges were not "recoated" so it is common to see some corrosion on the edges, but you could just touch that up with some Stainless Steel Paint.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
DoughertyAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

As far as cleaning it up, if you blast it with Plastic Beads NOT an ABRASIVE, you will not dmage the original Galvanize Finish.  These were stamped from a fresh USS (United State Steel Corp) sheet and the edges were not "recoated" so it is common to see some corrosion on the edges, but you could just touch that up with some Stainless Steel Paint.

Thanks Ross.  Same with the coil bracket then, use plastic beads to blast to keep the galvanized finish.  I learned something today!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic