TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2019 at 8:55pm
Been a while since this side of the shed was empty:

But that is probably jumping ahead a bit in the story. First up the old reliable Hitachi grinder finally died after years of abuse, so I had to buy a nice new one to rip some more paint off:

Then after applying copious amounts of masking, it was time to spray down some primer:

Mad panic Sunday morning bolting panels back on:

Will need some more work on the gap at the rear of the door, door can't really go any further forward:

Then it was off to the much anticipated Charger Club dyno day at Jeep Kraft:

Live action version:

This was the end result, pretty happy with the numbers although I think maybe a tad ambitious. Back to back runs, no changes in between unless the little man in the Holley EFI computer was twiddling knobs. Since I'm crossing the line just north of 180kmh, it does suggest that bigger diameter tires might help to bring the gearing down a bit. 

Edited by WesternRed - Dec/02/2019 at 1:14am
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Craigie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2019 at 9:48pm
284KW nice !!

Also like the job on that lower sill, very tidy .
Craigie.........

1968 Dodge Charger "Bullitt" tribute
1971 SC/360 Hornet
1973 "Levi" Gremlin
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2019 at 1:09am
Has been suggested that those are horsepower figures, not kW, which I think is a bit more realistic.

Edited by WesternRed - Dec/02/2019 at 1:13am
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 6:40pm
If 'bench racing', 284 Kilowatts converts to 380 Horsepower at the tires, or at least as google says.
Seem to remember 11.74 sec ? best 1/4 time ?  and fail to remember what your best MPH is. 
The bs formulas suggest 3,250 lbs 'optimum' numbers are 345 HP at tires and 11.72 secs at 111 mph

Using 380 HP at tires & 3,250 lbs, formulas show 'optimum' 100% efficiency yields 11.39 secs at 115 mph

Using 285 HP at tires & 3,250 lbs, formulas show 'optimum' 100% efficiency yields 12.42 secs at 104 mph
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 7:28pm
Has been conformed that it is 284 HP at the wheels, was showing HP on the screen, but had kW on the printout, it would translate to something like 350 at the crank, which is consistent with weight x mph at the track.

Anyway, back to the dreaded bodywork, was wondering what sort of crazy badges went in these holes above both tail lights that had been filled with bog:

Then a light bulb went off in my head and I realized they were probably for some extra lights hat had been added to meet Aussie spec for rego. Anyway, nothing a bit more welding wouldn't fix followed by a quick test fit up:

The inside was stripped of paint and some weld through primer added around the edges:

Then more welding:

Top and bottom were finished, still need to do the sides, but more pressing matters were at hand, so on the trailer it went and off to the Motorplex for Mopar Night.

Managed a couple of mid 12's and a couple of high 11's, so all was good in the world, just glad to get it back on the track for a few runs.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2019 at 5:33am
With the Christmas season, I've had 2 weeks off work so far and there has been some progress made, never seems like enough though.

Finished welding in the rear panel, it was a lot of fun (not) plug welding the vertical seams from inside, then spent some time stripping the rest of the paint off it's bum.

Seems there has been a few paint jobs in the past:

Copious masking was applied, followed by some 2K epoxy primer:

Will need to come back with some filler and smooth out the remaining imperfections.

But that will be sometime in the distant future, for now it has been re-assembled and is ready for race duties, aka, Mustang v Camaro night on the 8th of Jan.

In other news, I've swapped out the Aeroflow copy, for a genuine Bosch 044 pump after some fuel supply issues last time out, still noisy as heck, but hopefully that will sort it out.

RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2019 at 6:32am
You're doing great. Now go show those Mustang and Camaro owners what AMC power is all about.......

Rick
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
  Share Topic