TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1967 American rear suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401rumbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 American rear suspension
    Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 2:04pm
I am in the process of pulling apart my rear suspension in my 1967 american. I am having a very hard time locating the right polyurethane bushings for the front and rear of the leaf springs. I plan on cleaning everything up and repainting it. I would also like to regear my rearend from 3:31 to 3:73 while i have it apart.   If you have a resource for the right bushings please help me.   I am wanting to use polyurethane to tighten up the suspnsion.
1967 Rambler 343 T-10
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 10:53pm
There are plenty of poly dealers out there.  Summitracing, jegs, etc....just do a search.

I would not recommend using poly bushings on the shackle (rear lower most) area of the leaf springs.  Made my 69 jump up and down like a bronco horse.  Removed the poly and installed rubber and the ride is much more satisfactory now.  However, I do a lot of street and freeway driving. If you are primarily planning to drag strip it, then you may not have that issue.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2015 at 6:58am
Find a poly bushing (for the front eye) that has the correct bolt diameter and a larger outside diameter. You can chuck the bushing on a drill press (run the right size bolt through it and tighten a nut to hold, use washers, chuck in drill) then use rough sand paper to cut to size. A wood lathe and sharp cutting chisel works well also. You can use the lathe chisel on a drill press if you can rig a tool rest. Just be careful with the chisel -- easy to take off too much! I've use a standard machine lathe cutting bit on a x-y lathe vise for minor cutting of poly and aluminum parts that didn't have a critical, precise measurement.

Here's a good link with the process. It says "how to cast bushing", but the link shows how they made the first "blank" from an existing oversize bushing and a drill press.
http://lowtiderides.blogspot.com/2008/11/low-tide-rides-how-to-cast-bushing.html

Edited by farna - Dec/02/2015 at 7:04am
Frank Swygert
401rumbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401rumbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2015 at 10:35am
The Thanks for the input. I ended up ordering a kit from performanceamstyle.com they say that they are for 2.5 inch wide leafs. I will try to freeze them and cut them to the right width. At the same time I am building a set of home brew Caltrac bars. I came across a picture on Google and was wondering if anyone had some info on it. It looks like an adapter to eliminate the front trunnions and spring to convert to coil over spring.
1967 Rambler 343 T-10
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2015 at 11:20am
2 1/2 bushings are supposed to be pretty easy to cut from what I have heard.
I have a set here for mine, someday.

I'm more concerned with getting a shackle apart and new bushings than the front.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2015 at 7:00am
There used to be an adapter for the upper trunnion to use a coil over. Post a link to the pic! It wouldn't be real hard to fab such a bracket. 
Frank Swygert
401rumbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401rumbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2015 at 2:13pm
Its not a great picture. I found it by searching on google "amc rambler coil over"  it was in the first ten photos. I like the idea of not having to spend the money for the full coil over front suspension that is available but being able to update to a coil over for a reasonable price.
1967 Rambler 343 T-10
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2015 at 5:17pm
Okay. I looked up the pic on Google and got a better view. That is a complete billet piece on top that bolts to what appears to be the original upper arms. I'm pretty sure it was a custom one-off piece. I've never seen it before, but I haven't seen everything. The spacer and horizontal trunnion bolt have been removed and the piece holding the coil over inserted. That piece is also machined for a upper ball joint. I suspect a Mustang II spindle is used, but it could be a late model (71-83) small car spindle. You could weld something similar up from plate.

A better bet would be to just replace the spring, but keep the trunnion. To do that you need a circular plate that will fit the top of the trunnion with tow "tabs" to bolt a shock to. Need the same for the top of the trunnion. Insert in tower and hold in place while you drill a couple 1/4" holes through the tip pf the tower and into the plate. You could thread the plate, but I think I'd tack weld a couple bolts to the plate, making studs, then push up with the shock attached. Should be easier. Yes, 1/4" bolts. All they will do is keep the plate in position and the shock and plate from falling out when the car is jacked up, there will be no pressure on the bolts. Use at least grade 5 bolts though, as hardware store ungraded bolts are of random quality, graded bolts have to meet certain specs. Grade 8 won't hurt, but not necessary. Use grade 8 for the cross bolts holding the shock to the plates as they will have weight on them, and any bolts with shear forces. 

The plate on top of the trunnion needs to be held in place also. You can drill into the spring seat and use a couple bolts or weld tabs that extend over the sides. A 1" tall piece of pipe that has an ID the OD of the top of the trunnion would be nice. Then you could drill and tap into the sides of the pipe so the bolts catch under the trunnion when screwed in. You need something to keep that plate from skidding sideways, so I'd use grade 8 bolts for that if going through the top.

Instead of coil overs you might consider air springs. Don't have to have on-board air, just a hose and valve for each wheel. Set the way you want then check every month or two just like you (should) check your tires. TomJ runs his 63 American roadster that way. Relatively cheap, the on-board air and control systems are the expensive part of air ride.

See http://sensitiveresearch.com/1961-Rambler-Roadster/construction.html#frontsusp.  That's the older trunnion suspension, but it's close enough to the later trunnion that the same ideas work.

Edited by farna - Dec/05/2015 at 5:29pm
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic