TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

manual steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: manual steering
    Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 7:36am
Here is my question.....what year/make of vehicle steering box would I need if I stayed with manual steering just so I can get the rag joint setup?

If I stayed with manual steering, could I just use my existing spacer?

Its a american not a tank, manual isn't so bad 
1966 Rampar American
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 8:12am
if you can find one off of a 69 American, I would (Saginaw box)not sure about what 68's used....67 and older used ross boxes and I can't say I like mine but they were functional...

67 american 290/4speed
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 2:53pm
Not just sure what it is you are asking about.
Are you looking for a manual box rag joint or manual box & rag joint?
What do you have now and how does it bolt up to the car?

When I went from power box to manual box on my 70 Javelin drag car I found only the box side of the joint is different between the 2 boxes. IIRC the power box had a bigger input shaft dia.

Now this was years ago and I found Advance Auto Parts on line had the part listed for AMC’s. Now if they or whomever you go thru for the joint and they don’t have a listing for AMC (not a shock) look up for the same year GM car and body size. Remember our and GM use the same box & column setups.

As for a box swap and the frame bracket if the box & bracket don’t have the right number of holes to mount box to bracket you should be able to modify the bracket as I did. I got some heavy square bar stock drilled & tapped a bolt hole in it and cut it to fit the bracket and welded it on to the stock bracket.

I used a mid 80’s Chevy S10 4x4 non-power box in the drag car and that box only had 2 of the 3 mounting bolts lined up and why I had to weld on a 3rd bolt hole mount.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 3:48pm
fuzz, I THINK (but not sure) he was asking what would be a direct fit at the frame, probably has a 64-65 American with a solid shaft to the st wheel (about 5' long)

just guessing...

67 american 290/4speed
Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 5:57pm
So you are correct TOM I have a 1966 American Manual steering with the impaler Solid Stearing shaft. I would like to know if there is something that would be a direct fit at the frame. Its a little for safety a little for header clearance. 

1966 Rampar American
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 5:30am
Ok not knowing the older car that well I did not know that's what he was asking.
When you find something that works post up what you did with pictures if you can so others can do it if they want.
Well here's a bump that may help
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 4:52pm
if it make you guys feel better, I wasn't aware 66's had solid shaft steering boxes.
I which case, I stand by the 69 Saginaw box, with the second best being the 67 ross box.

don't know what 68 used, anybody a little help? i'd like to know...

67 american 290/4speed
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 6:05pm
I am not sure what after 40 some odd years or more whether there are even boxes available any longer that might work.
Last year I was looking for an OEM replacement box for a Hornet and they were all out of production and unavailable.
Power steering has become pretty much standard equipment and the market for manual boxes has dried up a long time ago.
Power steering boxes were easily found but manual?
At least for what I wanted, they no longer existed and junk yard parts are now scrap iron in China.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic