TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can I get some help Big issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2015 at 8:07am
I will look into Kanter right away. Many updates since yesterday. I worked on my baby till 11:30.
The neighbor guy Jeff came over to help at around 11. He was drunk lol. So I started with the front.
Removed both tires, rolled them inspected them. I didn't see any separation or bubbles. However Jeff swears the front left has a separation.. I couldn't feel it but he had me rub my tire in one spot trying to show me.. I'll trust his expertise. I did end up removing all of the wheels, put new bearings in the front, and new shoes all around. I was able to get the front drums turned at around 8:30 but the backs I'm going to have turned in a few. Coffee first. The rear brakes were extremely low but not to the rivets. Jeff trying only to keep his shorts clean jumped in and checked the driveshaft for wiggle, tie rod ends and upper and lower ball joints for play. Though old, noting moved around everything was solid. I'm on the hunt for a couple of front tires.14" ugh.. I was hoping to have 15" rims by now. It's so hard to find 14" tires that aren't meant for a trailer in town. I will finish what I started and get the front kit and order some springs and the front end kit. It's the right thing to do.
74 AMC Javelin
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2015 at 8:19am
" It's the right thing to do."

If you intend to keep driving it is! Actually, if you checked the front end and nothing is worn enough to be loose you should be fine. I'm just glad you fixed the brakes! If the strut rod bushings look bad replace them, leave the rest -- since it was checked. Maybe have Jeff look again when more sober though. Wink

Replace that tire first. One thing you can do is move the tire to the rear and take a short drive. The shake will move with the tire, and not cause a lot of front end shake. Still needs to be replaced, but that will verify it's the tire. If it is the tire and he rest of the front end seems okay, you might want to locate those 15" rims and put your funds in tires instead of rebuilding the front end for now. The rubber can all look bad and still be okay. You did state the front end alignment shop said everything was worn, but unless you know the people really good they may be looking for business. Well worn and old looking doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be replaced right away. Bad boots on ball joints will mean they are going to wear faster an normal, but may be a long time before they get loose enough to notice. You have to check behind most "production" shops.  I've had them tell me that I needed parts that I know I'd just replaced a couple years before and checked later -- nothing wrong. They just assumed old car, old parts, good chance to get more business.
Frank Swygert
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2015 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Casey Casey wrote:

It was driving just fine for the several years I've owned her. Something snapped.. I didn't mean to put anyone or anything in danger. Please just downgrade the hate a little.

No hate intended.  It's just that some of us have had close calls in our lives driving vehicles that really were unroadworthy.  No one wants you enjoying your car to end badly.  As to your problem, suspensions are funny things.  Are you sure there were no signs of trouble prior to the last episode?  Typically they exhibit some minor problem signs before they turn into major problems.  Worn suspensions also tend to go into a 'resonance' and exhibit violent vibration/movement/etc.  Just ask anyone who has experienced the 'death wobble' of a Dodge pickup front end.  I guess I would have started with the suspension rather than the brakes because from a thousand miles away it sounds like a slopped out idler arm to me.  Good luck.  
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2015 at 6:58am
What are the date codes on those tires? Over 10 years ago then they are dangerous.

I got burned on the tires that are currently on my Javelin. All 4 need to be replaced before driving again. I put about 300 miles on them. They looked really nice no cracking lots of tread but turned out to have No date codes at all. This means one of 2 things: pre 2000 or not bought in North America. All 4 now have the tread seperating from the sidewalls. Yokohama avid 4 something 225 60 15.

I suspect they are from 1991 and bought in Australia since they came on the wheels that are currently on my Eagle. These wheels are ROH brand aluminum and 1 has a faint date stamp from a tire shop? that reads 1991. These are the only known set of these known to exist in Canada.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Casey View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2015 at 7:30am
Thanks guys for all of the big brother comments. After careful thought I realized some of you got pissed because you care, and not because your a-h%[€£• I purchased brand new tires from Firestone just to go with the theme.. On a test drive it started shaking again after about 20 miles. When I got home I jacked up the front end, passenger side first and tried to shake the tire.. At this point I am thinking it has to be wheel bearings. Nothing. It was firm, as it should be so before I moved to the other side I adjusted to wheel bearings "spin, tighten, 1/4 turn back off". Switched to the other side. Grabbed the tire and BOOM wobble.. I layed down so I could see the steering linkage and shook the tire again. The steering rods were jumping up. I called NAPA, $180 just for the tie rods inner and outer. I ended up ordering the whole front end kit from Kanter $230 shipped. It should be here just afte thanksgiving. Should I find new coils someplace? Not sure if they may be a problem too. Hey the way I look at it is.. It's cheaper than a car payment and more badd rump than most cars on the road. It's totally worth taking care of it
74 AMC Javelin
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2015 at 7:46am
Good to hear you found the shaking issue before it turned into some thing really bad.
Good luck on the front end rebuild.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2015 at 10:44am
Kanter also has front springs @ $295 a pair. Do the other front end work with what you get from them and then decide if you need front springs or not.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2015 at 10:54am
Had a shop refuse to do an alignment on my 82 Concord due to worn parts. Had them make me a list and I replaced everything on the list. My mom took the car back and they talked her into replacing both upper ball joints, even though one was brand new and bolted on not riveted. When I got their they said both were bad on the car which was not true. I don't trust  some shops anymore and just replace everything myself on all my cars now before taking them in for alignments. RockAuto has had a pretty good stock of replacement parts for many AMC's.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
NutmegCT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutmegCT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2015 at 3:44pm
Just a thought from someone who experienced the same "shuddering" at speed.  Me!

Turned out the brake linings had separated from the shoes on one front wheel.  On my first Interstate drive, I hit the brakes hard as I came to an exit.  Thought the car was going to explode.  Front end shook like crazy.   Let off the brakes and the shuddering ceased.

Got the shoes relined.  Problem solved.

Just a thought.
Tom M.

Casey View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2015 at 4:09pm
Thanks Guys if I ever find out how to post pics on this site I'll shoot some and send them
74 AMC Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic