TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 Classic with bent Axle. Need help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2015 at 3:38pm
I have a set of 65 Axles out and leaning against the wall.
Let me know if you need one. Hubs are still on and I am not messing with them. 
$50 plus shipping.

You'll need to have them taken apart and have your backing plates and new bearings press on. Any shop with a good hydraulic press can do it.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2015 at 3:39pm
Also You will most likely find out the 61 is an AMC 15 and the 65 is an AMC 20 rear. 
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
DailyDriver770 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DailyDriver770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2015 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

I have a set of 65 Axles out and leaning against the wall.
Let me know if you need one. Hubs are still on and I am not messing with them. 
$50 plus shipping.

You'll need to have them taken apart and have your backing plates and new bearings press on. Any shop with a good hydraulic press can do it.

I'll take them. Can you PM me with how you want to handle the transaction? Thank you. 
Pete
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2015 at 6:26am
The 63-66 axle is a bit narrower at 58.5" wide, so they won't interchange with the 61.
Frank Swygert
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2015 at 6:37am
    They are the same body  but a new model is narrower, seems odd. i would think it would be the other was around.  
    I found a local AMC owner with the exact same model and year who can't afford all he could use.  I'm giving him the 3 almost new tires (one got burned bad on the back by the fire) and some trim and the rest goes to the yard. 
    Most calls I got were for interior parts that burned.  Amazingly I got 8 gallons of gas from the tank which is really good condition.  Do you think it is worth  keeping that? 
Ron Francis
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2015 at 5:38pm
The 56-62 big Ramblers have essentially the same chassis. There were some minor changes for the 58-62 models from the 56-57. The 63-78 is pretty close to the same as well. The 63-66 models are identical. When AMC made the changes for the 67-78 body they essentially just made some adjustments to the 63-66 chassis -- made it slightly wider and longer, and the changes needed to mount the four link rear axle (which was essentially just add a crossmember for the upper arms and mounts for the lowers). Most people group the big cars as:
56-57
58-61
62 (transition year -- basically the old body with "next years" suspension and torque tube mount to trans, and a few other things)
63-66
67-78

Within those year ranges most chassis/body parts interchange, though you do have to allow for the longer wheelbase of the 65+ Ambassador (compared to the Classic) and different trim and grille/taillight treatments.

Americans are grouped:
58-60
61-63
64-65
66-69

The chassis is essentially the same for 58-63 models. Exterior body sheet metal is totally different between the two groups. Firewall and dash was changed also.  The same goes for 64-69 models. The big change between the chassis of the two is that the front of the 66-69 is about three inches longer. That was done to fit the 199/232 with AC. Can't fit an AC condensor in a 64-65 with the longer engine. There were some more changes made in 66 to comply with safety standards, like the "subframe connectors" (actually SILL connectors -- the front and rear "frame" sections of a unit body are techincally SILLS. "Subframe" comes from some GM cars that actually use a separate from the body short frame to hold the front suspension and engine) from the factory -- the same as used in the 64-65 convertibles only.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic