TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Any way to add cooling to air cooled bw?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any way to add cooling to air cooled bw?
    Posted: Oct/27/2015 at 7:03am
PO used an air cooled bw as a last resort in my 68 290 Javelin. Trans seems to be strong and works as an automatic should. The rad has a short rubber hose joining inlet and outlet of the trans cooler together closed loop to keep gunk out of the cooler..

This trans has been in the car since 1999 then the car sat unused from maybe 2002 to 2010 when I got it.

Any way to add cooler lines to this air cooled trans?/

Edited by maximus7001 - Oct/27/2015 at 7:31am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2015 at 7:13am
If you are referring to a transmission oil cooler, you can install any number of aftermarket oil coolers. 
Here is one listed by Rockauto for a 68 Javelin. Obviously it is aftermarket and does not appear to be to big.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3843801&cc=1004667&jnid=383&jpid=0
You will need to cut the metal transmission lines in front of the radiator and splice. The lines will then be routed to the transmission oil cooler in front of the radiator. 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2015 at 7:17am
There may be. Look for two plugged connections on the passenger side, IIRC just above the oil pan. The M-4x series had provisions for external cooling. They may not have the tube inside to feed the cooler though, I'm not sure. A fluid cooler was a HD factory option though.

But you probably don't need it. The air cooled trans is great in a cruiser. If you're planning on aggressive driving -- drag or road racing, for instance -- you need more cooling. TomJ used an air cooled trans behind a 232 in a 64 Classic wagon for years. He did a lot of heavy hauling (camping trips) and even drove it across Death Valley with a load with no issues, in the summer. He did lots of mountain driving in the hot dry south west. If there was a cooling problem he'd have found it!

The air cooling system works really well. You do have to have the converter with the "fan" made onto it though. It's just a raised portion on the back (trans side) of the converter -- open on the ends.  The bell has to have an opening on the passenger side and vents around where the trans bolts on. If you have those you should never overheat the trans under normal driving.
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2015 at 10:33am
You also need to be sure the front cover plate is in place or the airflow will not work correctly.
What you really need to do is see what bell is on it.
if it is the 290 bell, driving it will probably cook it in time as the 290 bell will not(I suspect) have the air cooling hole. big 3x4" or so hole in it.

I looked at the plans for the trans years ago and the layout inside of the trans would make adding the fluid cool a bit of a technical magic.

Identify your bell and converter then go from there.

I had an S-42 aircooled in my 69 232 car, no provisions on it for fluid cool.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2015 at 1:03pm
Drive fast.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2015 at 6:43pm
I know you meant that as a joke, but as Mark says, the air flow is critical and messed up without the front cover. Has to do with the fan design. You'd think leaving the flat front cover (between engine and bell) off would help, not hurt, but without the cover the trans will quickly overheat.

I've looked closely at the M-35 case I have. There is a provision in the rear for a cooling line, but it's not machined -- just a boss. It would need a feed tube inside the trans. I've had several people report that they had mid to late 60s six cylinder cars with M-4x tranny and a factory/dealer added cooler. I don't know if those had a special valve body or just an extra tube to feed fluid to the cooler. Return just dumps in the pan, but there is a fitting in the side for that too. The problem is if the fittings aren't in the trans there is no way I know of to source that tube or VB (if a VB is necessary...). Not enough people around who knew those trannys well. A few know the M-35 because it was used longer than the others and more prevalent (mail Jeeps and some small foreign cars).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic