TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > In Memoriam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

David Landrith

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Landrith
    Posted: Oct/15/2015 at 7:09am
Was vice president and general manager of Hurst Performance Research in Ferndale, Michigan. At Hurst Landrith was in charge of Public Relations efforts for GM, Ford, Chrysler and AMC projects, including the 1969 SC/Rambler. He also oversaw much of AMC's racing efforts at the time, including development of the SS/AMX program. After leaving Hurst he was involved with the development of the Hornet AMX model while at Motortown Corp. He was recently inducted into the American Motors Hall of Fame.

http://carnutdirect.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=89
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2015 at 9:32pm
http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=David-Landrith&lc=4048&pid=176132662&mid=6637017#.VibyAmL1BvQ.facebook
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2015 at 11:44pm
That's a real damn shame. Really nice man.

Steve
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2015 at 7:22pm
Rest in peace Mr. L.   WOW, what a resume', which is in his obituary: Talk about "Livin the Dream"

When David told a story about the glory days of automotive it always started with "So and so from such and such… he was a real nice guy." In David's eyes everyone was a friend.

Dave received a degree in marketing from U of M in 1960 then went to work for Security Bank, but when you've grown-up downriver Detroit you can't help but feel the tug of the auto industry.
David ran and promoted the Detroit Dragway. The echoes of "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday" still resonates through his son's head because David would take him and let him run the lights for the races.

With a knack for marketing and a diehard passion for cars and design, it didn't take Dave long to get picked up by the "Hurst Shifter Guy," George Hurst in 1964. As Vice President and general manager of Hurst Performance Research in Ferndale Michigan and Vice President of the parent company Hurst Performance Inc. Dave was "in charge of it all" he dreamt up and designed many high-performance vehicles as well as contributed to industry advances.

While with Hurst he managed PR for all the major players, GM Ford, Chrysler, AMC. Dave came up with marketable concepts, then followed through with the goods. He was part of the development and construction of the original Hurst Hemi Under Glass, the Super Stock AMX, the AMC Sc/Rambler, the Hurst Hairy Olds, the '69 Hurst Olds, the Chevy 442, the 440' Cuda, the Dart and the one and only Olds Fournado 442.

In 1971 Dave decided it was time for a new adventure, he bought the Dyno equipment and tooling from Hurst Detroit plants, left Hurst and formed Landrith Industries. At the time, David's private collection of cars included five Sc/Ramblers but parted with them to fund his start up. He also sold the AMC Baja package to James Garner (Rockford Files) for Garner's race team.

While on a two year stint as a special consultant to American Motors Corporation, David put together the iconic pro-stock racing team for AMC of HL Shahan and Shirley Shahan (Bridges) "DragOnLady" along with other drivers.

Vice President of After-Market Sales, American Sunroof Corp. from '72 to '74 working directly with Heinz Prechter.

Dave was just 38 years old in 1974 when he and cousin Warren Wells brought a company to life called Motortown. The company that was born on a shoestring Motortown ramped up quickly when Jerry Juska of Dymar brought David an idea for the Pontiac Astre Lil' Wide Track. Jim Wangers joined the company as a minor share holder shortly after the Lil' Wide Track deal was in motion. Motortown was literally an overnight sensation with gross profits of 1.4 million it's first year. By 1976 the company employed 260 persons throughout it's nine plants in North America and was expected to gross 7 to 9 million. Some of the cars that rolled down the line for Motortown bling were Ford's Cobra II, The Roadrunner, the Chevy Nova Shark, the 1977 Hornet AMX and Pontiac Can Am.

Next was General Dynamics where David oversaw testing of their Land Vehicle Systems which was coordinated with the Egyptian and Saudi Armies.

David was the Executive Vice President of Auto-Fab Conversions Inc. from 1985 to the early '90's. Not only did they build the PPG Pace Cars but he was also busy inventing and patenting a resin transfer molding process which was used on the Pontiac GTA.

David made a point of telling his family and friends how blessed he was in business to have made a living doing what he loved, developing, building and promoting iconic vehicles with various automotive heads of state, George Hurst, Dickie Chrysler, Edsel Ford II, Walt Czarnecki, Shirley Shahan (Bridges), HL Shahan, Paul Phelps, Chuck Miller, Paul Hatton, Doc Watson, to name just a few…

We learned after his death that David was a 2015 inductee to the American Motors Hall of Fame, an honor that would have delighted him.

As we celebrate David's life and legacy we know he will be deeply missed by his wife Jeanette. Jeanette hails from Britain but she and David crossed paths while riding horses in Cairo Egypt, Jeanette on vacation and David on a secret automotive assignment for General Dynamics Land Systems, they have been together since.

David lovingly remembered by his son Lawrence (Jennifer), daughter Paula (Stan) as well as all the grandchildren and great grand child, sister Jane, mother-in-law Joan, nieces, nephews, cousins and many friends, all of whom he considered family AND "real nice guys".

67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2015 at 11:49am
  met Mr. Landrith in 2009 at the AMO show in Michigan, a photographer approached me and wanted a few pictures of my sc/rambler with some hurst girls and this older gentlemen. i said sure why not, at this time i had know idea who he was until someone happen to mention his name and what he did. after the photos the were trying to move him along to do something else but i got about 2 to 3 minutes to talk to him and asked  about every question i could possibly think of regarding the correctness etc of the hurst cars.  i am not sure how many questions i asked when he finally kinda smiled at me and said that out of the all the scramblers they did there probably isnt one done exactly the same as another. He did take the time to return later and was able to obtain what i thought was some valuable info on the scramblers. seemed like a nice man and he sounded like he loved what he did. oh, and the picture with Dave, the Hurst girls and me, still have it.  may you rest in peace Dave       
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
investit View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote investit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 9:40pm
My father-in-law Dave Landrith

I wrote his obit. He was a fascinating man with more stories about the auto industry then 3 or so people put together
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 10:55pm
RIP David
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic