TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

NON AMC transmission question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 2:02pm
The same thing happened to my Astro van. There is no code for a plugged CAT. It will show up as mass airflow sensor. The computer gets feed back from sensors. With the throttle position sensor at wide open the mass air flow should be flowing a certen amount of air to match. With the TPS wide open and a plugged EX. the MAF gives a false reading. If EX can't get out air can't in. The ESUs are dumb when given false info. Get a saw and cut the pipe. If that doesn't work loosten the pipes at the manifolds.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 12:35pm
So heres the results.  it was definitely pulling a bad map sensor code, so i chased down the vacuum line on each end and blew it out.  nothing there.  split the harness and checked the wiring all the way back to the computer, no breaks.  still pulling the code.  I took amc67rogue's advice and cut the pipes before the pre-cat.  started it up and ran it for a few mins.  low and behold, no more map sensor code.  took the truck to the muffler shop and had the cats replaced.  as soon as i started it back up, i noticed the idle was higher, it didnt stall out right after starting.  power came back and i didnt have to get into the gas pedal as much.  looks like once i get the timing back where it belongs, its going to run right.  ill have to take it on a short trip to see if the gas milage came back...  Thanks amc67rogue for the advice. 

Barney
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 3:52pm
Good to hear. Now go tell those five "qualified" mechanics including two dealerships that they don't know Sheit from Shinola and they should consider a new line of work.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 4:07pm
worst part was that a dealership that orignally installed the motor was the one responsible for the trash plugging the cat.  very sloppy work.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Good to hear. Now go tell those five "qualified" mechanics including two dealerships that they don't know Sheit from Shinola and they should consider a new line of work.
Now that is funny

It is good to hear you found the issue. I would of liked to know what the vac reading was before and after the fix.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic