TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exhaust??? 1968 Rambler American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 11:26am
I use thrush glass packs on all my cars in my opinion sound great.
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Anthony2622 Anthony2622 wrote:

Now this might be a dumb question but would i have to take it to a muffle shop? Or would i be able to put it on in my driveway. More money saved is better

Anthony,

If you have a competent muffler shop in the area, and the rest of your exhaust system is okay, they typically won't charge more than a nominal fee to put in the muffler (could be as cheap as $20).
By the way, you are usually gonna be much better off finding an independent shop, rather than one of the national chain or franchise places.

g-man 
AMC only daily driver
Anthony2622 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony2622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 12:04pm
Appreciate all the feedback. The owner before me put an entire new exhaust piping besides the muffler. I will take it to an independent shop, so ik it would be done right. Thanks alot😀
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 12:36am
You probably should stop referring to it as a "V6" because it's not a V6, it's a I6. Six cylinders in a row. Big difference there.

I like Turbo mufflers, either Walker or Thrush. The cheaper ones are built like a stock muffler and look like one (because stock mufflers were a form of turbo) and the better ones are stainless steel. Both sound about the same, just the stainless ones don't rust.

I had a Turbo on my 232 for a year then after it rotted out I replaced it with the "stock replacement" listed in the book. Sounds exactly the same. I like that sound.

For more noise I'd go for something chambered. Anything straight-through or glass-filled will tend to fart on an inline engine. Flowmasters are chambered, and a model 44 sounds nice on an I6.

A single 2" pipe will be plenty.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 8:06am
The original type mufflers were VERY quiet on AMCs. A turbo muffler is my choice over a glass pack as well. I had a DynoMax chamber style muffler (similar to the Flowmaster dual chamber) and it was too loud with my 4.0L. Part of that was the location of the muffler in a 63-66 Classic -- and that I have a wagon. Anything reverberating through the floor comes directly into the passenger compartment. The muffler is tucked up between the gas tank and rear axle, so a lot of sound is "trapped" under the car where it can come up through the rear floor. Sedans don't have as much of a problem as the wagon.
Frank Swygert
Javelin Pete View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2016 at 4:49pm
I had a short cheap o $25 thrush glass pack (16") behind my 199 and it sounded great, not too loud at all, but had a nice throaty rumble when you got on it. No freeway drone either, I ran it that way for years. it was louder than stock, but in no way did it give you the type of volume that you get from a V8 dual exhaust setup.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic