TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torqe-tube gasket?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by tubular_joe tubular_joe wrote:

When I pulled the engine for rebuild the jack supporting the tranny slowly collapsed and I think it tore that trunnion on the torque tube, because now I get a wobble at about 30 MPH when driving on old sectioned concrete streets. You can see the shift lever follow the wobble. Lightly braking stops it. I'm thinking I need a new one. Thoughts??

Yes, that is one symptom of a damaged/aged trunnion cushion.  What model and year of car do you have? As said above depending on what car you have, the vendors like Galvin's have a replacement trunnion/cushion that can be installed or they can have the trunnion revulcanized onto your tube I think.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
amcman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 1:13pm
It seems like you might need a new torque tube stabilizer trunnion to stop the wobble while driving. The symptoms you describe can be caused by a bad or damaged trunnion. As they get older they can be damaged or fail more easily.  Nashramblerrubber.com makes a high quality factory replacement trunion. If your Rambler is made after 62, it is a slightly different design. You will have to go to Galvin for that design if that's the one you have. Sorry to hear about the jack collapsing. Your Rambler will probably drive better with a new trunnion.
-Jim
tubular_joe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubular_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 2:07pm
She's a 66-18 with a 327. I've send a request to Galvin's. They show a "rebuilt" tube with the trunnion already attached. I think I'll go with that.
Thanks.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 8:17am
Or you can remove the old one, get some high density rubber (like a thick pickup truck bed pad, or pads used in horse stables), and make a cushion. It doesn't have to collapse much, in fact it CAN'T collapse much or it will continue to cause the issue you have, will just cut down on noise until it collapses. RTV it to the torque tube end. You will likely have to layer the pad (RTV layers together) to get close to the right thickness. That works, just hard to find high density rubber in a small amount, unless you find a pad at a junk yard or horse stable. The original is hard to get off too -- a wood chisel or sharpened scraper and a hammer works though.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic