TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Should I rebuild by rear?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike69390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I rebuild by rear?
    Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 9:59am
Guys,

I'm trying to decide if I should rebuild the rear on my 69 AMX. I'm doing a rotisserie restoration on it and have the rear out to restore it but can't decide if I should rebuild it or not. It never hummed or had any problems or major leaks and mainly I just don't want to create the potential for new problems by tearing it apart. Any thoughts?

Mike
69 AMX 390 Go-Pak, A/C, auto, tilt wheel
69 AMX 390 Go-Pak, A/C, 4-spd, leather int.
68 AMX 290 parts vs project???
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Mike69390 Mike69390 wrote:

Guys,

I'm trying to decide if I should rebuild the rear on my 69 AMX. I'm doing a rotisserie restoration on it and have the rear out to restore it but can't decide if I should rebuild it or not. It never hummed or had any problems or major leaks and mainly I just don't want to create the potential for new problems by tearing it apart. Any thoughts?

Mike

well, I would do it... the only problems in tearing it apart is finding a problem, or creating one by improper disassembly.

I hate to have a seal or bearing go later on. plus, getting clearances tip top will make the rear sound in the long run. I assume you know or have someone that can rebuild AMC20 rears. if not, then leave it alone and deal with it if time should prove the inevitable.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 10:37am
Me I am from the school “if it ant broke don’t fix it”.
If it does break then built it better – read Moser axles.

Ok so you do go ahead and pull it apart and don’t find anything wrong do you replace the bearings & seals anyway? Have you heard of the crap bearings out there now? You could be replacing a good made in the USA bearing with a cheap one only to have it go bad in 500 miles! How long have the "new" seals been sitting on the shelf drying out?
See where I went with this? If there was nothing wrong with the rear then clean it up on the outside new oil on the inside and use it.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 5:47pm
I'm with fuzz on this but I'd throw seals at it..

67 american 290/4speed
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 7:55pm
I'd pull the axles without removing the hubs. You'll be leaving the backing plates on the axle to do this. Then, clean & repack the axle bearings with a top quality wheel bearing grease. Replace the inner seal in the axle tubes. Reinstall the axles, using great care to not cut the new inner seals with the sharp edges on the splines.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic