TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 9:47am
The vacuum applied to the distributor is controlled by an engine heat sensing vacuum switch which should allow Manifold vacuum when starting the engine and ported vacuum when warm.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 12:30pm
Unless the HEI installer also tossed all the "smog" hoses.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by carnuck carnuck wrote:

Unless the HEI installer also tossed all the "smog" hoses.
along with the carter carb.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 11:44pm
They probably swapped on a larger carb, HEI, and removed all the factory emissions and vacuum systems thinking all that would turn their grocery getter into a hot rod like it does on TV.

Wrong.

Doesn't work that way 90% of the time. Usually it just makes the engine run worse in one way or another. People just can't leave well enough alone. Not saying it can't make an engine faster when done right, but often it's not done right.

I've seen people dump thousands of dollars of aftermarket performance parts into their engine yet the engine runs slower and worse than stock because they THINK they understand how it all works but they really don't. Usually the same people who think I know nothing about engines because I keep vacuum lines on mine, therefore I must be stupid...right...

People don't like what they don't understand, so their instinct is to remove it and do away with it. I'm the opposite. When I don't understand something I study it and reverse-engineer it.

Edited by FSJunkie - Aug/24/2015 at 11:49pm
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 9:11am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

They probably swapped on a larger carb, HEI, and removed all the factory emissions and vacuum systems thinking all that would turn their grocery getter into a hot rod like it does on TV.

Wrong.

Doesn't work that way 90% of the time. Usually it just makes the engine run worse in one way or another. People just can't leave well enough alone. Not saying it can't make an engine faster when done right, but often it's not done right.

I've seen people dump thousands of dollars of aftermarket performance parts into their engine yet the engine runs slower and worse than stock because they THINK they understand how it all works but they really don't. Usually the same people who think I know nothing about engines because I keep vacuum lines on mine, therefore I must be stupid...right...

People don't like what they don't understand, so their instinct is to remove it and do away with it. I'm the opposite. When I don't understand something I study it and reverse-engineer it.

I pretty much have to go along with the above, not that it can not be done and done right, it generally isn't.

And I built a quite righteous 258, a 1980 version, FULL OEM smog that dyno'd out 110HP at the rear wheels AND passed smog when Arizona mandated that the 1980 model year must do so.
If since converted that engine to Port FI to get rid of the BBD carburetor with it's 193CFM rating and the engine is still smog legal and good for about 145 hp.
Although Arizona thinks it is a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee now.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic