TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gen 2 crank gen 3 flexplate alignment tool.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2015 at 10:01am
Some trans converters do have a bushing in the snout but since the converter is always engaged on the center input shaft there is no need for a bearing. I'm sure there may be One out there with a different design like Saab or something. Nothing against Saab that is, some of my best friends drive Saab. I call then Saaburing Censored
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2015 at 3:45pm
That nub is added to a stock TH400 or 727 converter. Probably an added ring between motor and trans to account for the extra length too. There is no room in the Gen 2 crank for that big round nub.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2015 at 5:05pm
I agree no room for the big nub/snout.  The nub/snout is actually splined inside at least on the TF and TH400 design to engage the input shaft for the trans. It can be machined down to the size of the Generation 2 crank with or without the pilot. Eda has his machined down to the pilot which is .7488 ID on his,  I would rather have the bushing removed from the crank and machine the nub/snout to the crank hole for strength reasons.  You would still need to align the flexplate and that's why I made the tool. I have dealt with the adapter to convert a Gen 2 to gen 3 and pulling the crank and having it machined for the adapter plate, then having to use a spacer between the engine and trans is not inexpensive. looking at 600.00+. If you can even find the adapter anymore. Seams cheaper to just machine the converter and use the tool to align the flexplate. Say less then 100.00 and no mods to the crank.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic