TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX rim size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 12:11pm
I like the 17 inch rims for size and for being comparable in diameter to a tire that looks good an a 1970 vintage car to the optional performance 14 or 15 inch tires that were common on them. If you are picking a wheel tire combination that is requiring air shocks to make them work you are picking the wrong ones. They do not look good. Now once again appearance is personal preference and mine is I don't like them. I have upgraded wheel size for 15's to 17's for appearance sake and if ride is an indication of anything, a low profile 17 inch tire is a harder riding tire so live with it. A bigger tire looks like it should be on a one ton pick up truck.
I am currently installing 19 inch wheels and tires on my Hornet. They are a huge diameter wheel and there will be really narrow sidewalls on the tire that fits under the fender and they will fit under the fender. AMC rear fenders have a lot of room across the board. The front wheel openings are a limitation not the rear. And they will ride terrible, but I made the choice and will live with it because it will look terrific.
But then again, it is personal preference and the person I have to satisfy is the one forking out the money to get it done.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
AMC Okie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC Okie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 3:01pm
 I like the traditional 15" wheel, with white letter performance tire, but it's your car...........do what you want.
 Yeah I'm old, I don't like the newer style wheels and tires. I don't think they look right.
 I didn't like the 80's trend either, when they were running the smaller wheels outside the wheel wells on all four corners, which made the car look like a frog and wore out wheel bearings.
69 "GO PACK AMX"
73 Javelin 43,000 mile,origanl SURVIVOR
68 Javelin parts car
39 Ford coupe
48 Chevy coupe
2004 Dodge 1500 Rumble Bee
2005 Pontiac Solstice
Charlie S.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by AMC Okie AMC Okie wrote:

Yeah I'm old, I don't like the newer style wheels and tires.

So am I, my first AMC car was a 67 Rebel as a 2 year old used car. And I do like them. And that was when I could afford them. My first car was a '47 Desoto bought of a Lincoln Mercury New Car Dealer used car lot on sale for $17.00.
Of course running wheels and tires outside the fenderwell was the low rider crowd and they had no taste in much of anything. But I am also old enough to remember custom rims were the ones that came on the car! REVERSED and with a custom hub cap usually from some other car and that was high tech at the time. Or if the back of the car was low enough the fender skirts hid the wheel and all you could see was the sidewall and it was white. And you took off the 17 inch wire wheels to replace them with balloon tire wheels that were 15 inch and then you reversed them.
Only the nuvo rich could afford a custom wheel.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by amxgopack amxgopack wrote:

After looking through countless pictures and going back and forth on what I want.  I want these.  Now I just don't know what these are.  I'm guessing they are 17" right?  

that looks like a punk rump kids car
they call me Capt RETIRED!
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

After looking through countless pictures and going back and forth on what I want.  I want these.  Now I just don't know what these are.  I'm guessing they are 17" right?  

Wow! Someone posts a pic of something they like and ask for advice and you criticize them?
   why say anything? Get with the times. The pictured car is where its at!
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by bcsideshow bcsideshow wrote:

Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

Wow! Someone posts a pic of something they like and ask for advice and you criticize them?
   why say anything? Get with the times. The pictured car is where its at!
Because he asked for opinions!  That's why..........And that's mine.....These cars don't look good pimped out.......
they call me Capt RETIRED!
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 9:35pm
17's are a good guess and if you go to an on line Discount tire web site they have a huge catalog of available rims. Ask to shop by wheel size and then bolt pattern which is 5 x 4.5 and the California rake on that AMX accented by tire size looks good at least In my book. The front tire size I am trying to make work is P265 - 30zr hankooks and they are on SVT rims.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic