TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Javelin Trunnions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 Javelin Trunnions?
    Posted: Aug/09/2015 at 5:18am
Anyone in Oz do changeover (or outright) rebuilt trunnions. My LH one is "defective" and I time to change it out ..

So far I'm struggling even getting a kit ..
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2015 at 5:43am
I think there's a couple of vendors in the US who refurb, but no one here. How bad are yours? You can get the bearing from the US. I had one on an American that had an oval hole in the horizontal bolt hole.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

OzJavelin2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2015 at 3:42pm
Not sure as I haven't removed it yet.  When you brake/accelerate it knocks.  With the wheel up and load on the suspension you can see it move from front-to-rear along the horizontal trunnion bush if you push it with a screw driver ... like as if the bushes are moving horizontally along the inner steel sleeve  (that the top control arm bolt goes through)

I've released tension on the top control arm bolt (through the trunnion) and you can see it wants to "twist"  counterclockwise.

I'm wondering if the sleeve was too long allowing movement which has allowed the trunnion horizontal bush to wear?  These trunnions are only about 5 years old and only done a few thousand kms.

I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and pull them to see.  Issue is that I don't want to seriously affect the alignment as I live a long way away from anywhere and would rather drive than trailer it to get another alignment. 

:(
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2015 at 7:37pm
I have my trunnions to repair soon as well.
Both of mine had previously been repaired by Mascot motors a long time ago.
This time I will use the Prothane bush kits.
Luckily my trunnion housings are still in good condition just the bushes were worn.

I bought the parts from a US supplier.

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2015 at 9:29pm
Remember who the supplier was?
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2015 at 10:05pm

Aftermarketsuspensionparts.com

Diverse Suspension Technologies
2355 County Road 490
Stephenville, TX 7640

Front Trunnion and Pivot Bushings

$27.57

$27.57

Color:

- Black

-

-

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2015 at 7:57pm
I though the trunnion bushing had a steel insert?
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 2:31am
I never had original bushes to look at.
The prothane bushes are supplied with a small spacer that slides down over the thread.
The original large washer is then fitted and then the nut.
Torque to specification.
If the design is correct the end play should be close to zero but allow free movement.
From a few posts I have read you need to do some fitting to get it correct.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 4:39pm
Got a set off Colin Main with poly bushings that were on his dad's American for a short period.  The bushings, etc look great.  I put them on yesterday but need to check if the alignment is now OK .. the general look of the springs "worry" me ..

Yeah .. I "played" with the torque of the upright bolt to stop it binding.  I'm using a nylon lock bolt to stop it unwinding itself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic