TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin auto to stick swap?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1600buggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin auto to stick swap?
    Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 9:43pm
Hi all. I have a 68 javelin originally was a 6 cyl car now a 343 auto. We really want to do a swap to a manual transmission but have some questions. What tranny is best. Using the search I've seen t5s and t10s. We were thinking t10. How hard is this swap and will a different lenght driveshaft be needed. Car is a driver for the streets. What gearing is best too to keep it snappy but drivable. Would be doing the job ourselves so just testing out the waters for now. Thanks a lot!
amc401t10 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc401t10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 7:53am
I vote for a t10 ,check the for sale section, their were 2 their for sale a couple weeks ago.
U will need pedals and clutch linkage and pivots,the bell housings are getting harder to find.
And a flywheel and clutch kit( I like center force).
1-owner 74 gremlin x 401, t10,3.73 12 bolt,750carb,reed 250@50 cam, roller rockers,msd,offy int.
72 amc matador 401 727
84 j10 ,360, 727
1970 4-door rebel sleeper(455 pontiac,turbo 400)
79 spirit,4.2
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 12:14pm
Most AMC T10s have 2.23 1st gear. Unless you have a 4.10 rear, it's not particularly snappy off idle. So if you gear it to be snappy, it's not the most cruise friendly.

Do you do much interstate driving and want a reasonable cruise rpm? If so, I'd vote for a T5 w/ 2.95 1.94 1.34 1.00 .63 matched with a 3.54 or 3.73 rear gear.

For a stronger transmission option, Richmond 5 speed, 6 speed, Tremec TKO and T56 have also been done, but higher cost.

Think all will need a different driveshaft, modifications to the transmission crossmember (except maybe T10) and some trimming for shifter, since the car was an auto.

Since T10 was stock, likely simplest if you can find all the parts.
T5 is well documented on the Forum, so lots of good info to get the job done.

Hope this helps,RD.
javsst View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 12:51pm
Wouldn't a rebalance of the engine be needed if you're going from a flexplate to a flywheel?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a 360/TF727 setup in my 69 AMX now, and am thinking of putting in a T-10 I have spare.  But my understanding was that you should rebalance the rotating assembly and was going to do it down the road when I start putting my 390 together.

Thanks!

Steve
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 2:43pm
If you have the original flexplate that was balanced with the engine, just take it and your flywheel to a competent shop and have the flywheel match balanced to the flexplate. That's what I did and worked fine ... just took a bit to find a shop that could do it.

Hope this helps, RD.
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 3:01pm
Did the BW auto to T10 swap in a 70 AMX this past winter.  Finding some parts is challenging, but not impossible.  OEM Hurst shifters and linkage are pricey, but available.  My biggest challenge was the clutch linkage as my car has a fabricated aftermarket exhaust (Patriot) and I would have had to change it to use the stock mechanical linkage, so I put in a hydraulic throwout bearing.  While it works great now, it was a challenge getting it in, connected, bled, and working.  Let me know if you decide to go with a hydraulic clutch, perhaps I can help you avoid some of my challenges. 

If you decide to go with a T10 I have an extra T10 with Hurst shifter that I might be willing to part with.  Tom
1600buggy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1600buggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2015 at 7:47am
Thanks everybody. I am unsure of the rear gearing. Will look soon. Sounds like I need to know. I think we could do a mechanical clutch. Easier than a hydrolic although it sounds sweet. We have found a super t10 here at a car show with a date code of 76. Any way to tell the gears. without opening it up.No linkage or bell housing. Asking $300. Yea or nea on this? Also is the 343 a fine spline shaft as this tranny is. Thanks again.
1600buggy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1600buggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2016 at 7:55pm
Okay, so have finally gotten back to this. We have decided to go t-10. Most driving is around town but we do go hit the interstate fairly often as well. I found a bellhousing and plate locally for $120 but still don't have the tranny itself. I was told AMC had borg use a special input shaft on their t-10,s and I must find an AMC specific one. Does this have any truth to it or no? I need to hang a clutch pedal, does anyone have the pedal assembly for a manual car? Lastly, I need a flywheel. If anybody has any of this stuff or knows where I can get it, it would be greatly appreciated.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 1:30am
An amc t10 is different from the t10s made for other manufacturers. There are different amc bellhousings hope you have found the right one, I believe it should be around 8" deep. There are shorter ones for other transmission applications. Post an ad in the wanted section for items you are looking for.
bellhousing
flywheel 
throwout bearing fork
clutch assembly
transmission
shifter
output yoke
clutch pedal
linkage from pedal to fork
68-69 linkage is different than other years and I may have missed a few things

1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box