TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX A/C refurb and wiring sort

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2015 at 11:54am
Looks like to original poster's question has been answered, so I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but perhaps someone here will know the answer to my question.

My NOS a/c wiring harness came with an extra pigtail on the white wire (see photo).  There is no such pigtail in the photo Bill posted earlier.

Based on the length of the wire, and the factory a/c wiring diagram http://planethoustonamx.com/main/amx_javelin_ac_wiring.jpg I assume that the white pigtail goes to the blower motor (left) terminal on the resistor. As you will see, the blower motor is presently connected there (orange wire).  My question is, should the white pigtail and the orange wire to the motor both be connected to that terminal, or should I just cut the pigtail off? It appears to me from the wiring diagram that the second white wire should connect both to the blower motor and the terminal.
Thanks!

Edited by CamJam - Aug/15/2015 at 7:11pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Amurica View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amurica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 12:38pm
Ha! Good to know I''m not the only one still screwing around with this. Maybe by the time I'm done, I'll have some tips for you! haha. 

Car is coming along real nicely Cam. I'm finishing up the custom center console today, and hopefully getting the AC working this week, if I can get the compressor mounted! Then she will be back on the road!
Amurica View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amurica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 12:46pm
yeah im thinking that pigtail is redundant, for whatever reason. from what ive found, that is the straight through direct wire to the motor. which is what that orange/red wire on the left is going to, so i'd assume its not needed?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Amurica Amurica wrote:

yeah im thinking that pigtail is redundant, for whatever reason. from what ive found, that is the straight through direct wire to the motor. which is what that orange/red wire on the left is going to, so i'd assume its not needed?

That's what I'm thinking. I'll try it without and see if anything smokes, lol.

Did you ever find your resistor box?  I do see them on e-Bay occasionally. I was lucky that one came in a bunch of spares when I bought my car, even though my car didn't have a/c.

Cam

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2015 at 5:35am
That white pigtail wire does not belong there. It can be cut off. The A/C harness has only two wires, the white for the high blower speed, which goes as shown on the resistor block. The "output" side of the resistor block is the single terminal that goes to the blower motor. Your blower motor is a replacement, the OEM motors were sealed at the end and the power + lead was white where yours is orange. The A/C harness was routed along with the regular blower harness and the brown compressor lead follows the main body harness along under the washer bag and along the right inner fender. AMC used a thin metal tie wrap to hold the A/C, two wire harness to the main harness in the area of the blower motor. billd's picture clearly shows these tie wraps. Ultimately the brown wire female bullet end pokes out near the voltage regulator where it meets and connects to the compressor clutch (black) pigtail. There's a rubber dipped, metal wire retainer under the right front compressor bolt that holds the clutch wire close to the compressor base.

Edited by george w - Aug/20/2015 at 5:39am
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2017 at 9:29pm
Old thread, but confirmed exactly what I needed. Thanks guys!
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic