TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1962 swappable carb, rambler american

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 4:20pm
i'm sure i had multiple calls to my moorhead friends to see what their educated take on the issue was.
smudge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 6:08pm
when the car was not running after sitting for a while i got it running thru a few calls to these same friends.

fuel delivery or spark is generally the primary issue in these cars in my experience.
at the time i had fuel delivery but no spark...a new ignition coil fixed that (napa even had it in stock).

this time i think fuel delivery was the issue, hence the conclusion the carburetor was the problem.
59SeattleSuperSix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59SeattleSuperSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 11:57pm
Not to wake a sleeping dragon, but ran into this issue myself as my YF is legitimately jammed Angry. trying to move the throttle rod and it is TIGHT, can hardly budge the butterfly with my hands. But I had a bunch of holleys saved up from my stock pile of parts for my 59 and decided to try and throw it on the 58 lhead and see if it worked, not really.

other than throwing it on a riser plate + cutting the bolt (that sits under the holley linkage) I haven't figured out another option lol

was hoping the pb blaster on the yf would be my saving grace 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2020 at 12:28am
If it's that stuck, don't bother trying to run it. Buy a rebuild kit and take it apart.

But if the throttle shaft is that frozen, you might wanna find another one.

ALl the old used ones are old. And used. And maybe slightly better than what you got, but my exierience, 50 year old carbs are usually junk, at minimu,m cores for rebuild.

I use Mike's Carburetors.

I am quite happy that I bought a NEW Carter YF and adapted it to my 199. It will bolt on your engine. You will need to re-jet it -- swipe the jet and rod from your carb.

Alas, the throttle linkage will foil you. The ones Mike sells are Ford types and have a Ford linkage. NO ONE has the Rambler twist rod except Rambler. I've got a friend's 63 American (OHV) with a Weber on it, and a nicely made throttle linkage.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2020 at 7:01am
Take the butterfly out and drive the throttle shaft out. THEN clean it. Might take some emory cloth/fine sandpaper to the shaft to polish it up. You can run a drill bit through the hole in the base of the carb, but MAKE SURE the bit is the SAME SIZE as the shaft... or even slightly smaller. You don't want to enlarge the hole, just clean it out! You might be better off just soaking the base in carb cleaner over night. More gunk will come out of that shaft hole without the shaft in it...
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2020 at 8:52pm
yeah, but re-installing butterflies requires much care. Gotta un-stake the staked screws else the heads shear, etc. Reinstalling requires super-careful repositioning to ensure they seal off the bore else it won't idle, etc.

Not saying you are wrong! But it's a task left to rebuilders or the experienced.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

yeah, but re-installing butterflies requires much care. Gotta un-stake the staked screws else the heads shear, etc. Reinstalling requires super-careful repositioning to ensure they seal off the bore else it won't idle, etc.

Not saying you are wrong! But it's a task left to rebuilders or the experienced.

Its not too tough. You hold the throttle tightly closed while you tighten the screws. Make sure thought that it is in the right way. It has a top and a bottom. Its subtle, there is a taper on both edges that matches the bore when closed.. Use locktight on the screws when you put it back together. I grind the stake off with a dremel tool before removing the screws for the throttle plate.
59SeattleSuperSix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59SeattleSuperSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2020 at 11:05am
uh oh, dragons awake.

Guys this was for purposes of troubleshooting a freshly swapped engine, wasn't planning on driving on it anyway. Ended up grabbing some 1/8" cork, and baddabing baddaboom, the old trusty Holley is back on, the 196lhead. I just needed a little more clearance to get past those head bolts.. now the fun part, connecting the old rambler six throttle linkage to the 58' american weird throttle linkage on the block kind of a Push/Pull design.

I will be taking apart the carter and seeing what was holding me up here shortly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic