TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Installing a 727 Torqueflite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

Let me tell you this much with regard to this mod. I just did a 904 to 727 change in my 1970 Javelin (console shift). While it is not column shift the premise should be the same. You may be able to look up the shift lever for the BW to see if there was a difference in the part number between a column shift and a console shift. If there is only one part number and no notes in the parts book about a column shift it is fairly safe to say that the BW transmission shift lever has the same throw length for the column shifter as the console shifter. Therefore, what I am about to say should be correct. For me, the 904 went right in (out of a 1973) with only modifying the linkage using the shift lever that came on the 904 stock as it was straight out of the 1973 Javelin with console shifter. Furthermore, the throw length of the 904 lever was perfect to match up with the stock console shifter which was previously responsible for shifting the old BW trans. The only mod that we had to make was to drill new holes in the trans mount and lengthen the shift rod. Now, when I just changed to the 727 it threw the gate pattern way off. However, the 727 shift lever was also around an inch shorter that the one that was on the 904. Thank goodness that the two shift levers were interchangeable as what I selected to do was to use the shift lever from the 904 on the 727 which in turn corrected my throw length and the gate once again aligned perfectly. Hope that helps.

In case you need to know.
1970 Javelin with 904 = 50" driveshaft center to center
1970 Javelin with 727 = 46" driveshaft center to center

Standard mopar 727 slip yoke but uses an adaptive u joint to match up to the driveshaft.

Thanks for the info. Especially the specific info on the driveshafts. 

Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 1:21pm
Thank you to everyone's replies. 
Great info!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 3:55pm
I have an extra crank adapter for the older 401 crank if anyone needs it
javguy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic