TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

More MSD wiring issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More MSD wiring issues
    Posted: Jul/25/2015 at 10:54pm
Well, I finally got the MSD 6 wired up, put super conductor wires on too. The engine fired up and ran great, but I did experience run on. No big deal, thought that might happen, picked up a diode from radioshack. I installed the diode (soldered) in the orange w/black tracer wire (which runs to the alt light on the dash) coming out of the alternator. Wired it with the band on it facing the alternator, which if I read everything correct should be the right direction.

Now the car won't start. That's all I've done, the only thing I changed. Admittedly I haven't spent any time troubleshooting, ran out of time working on the car just when I figured out it wasn't starting. I don't know if I have spark, I'll check when I can, but it does crank.

Does this sound like what would happen if I put that diode in backwards? Or did I just do a really poor job soldering and end up with a bad connection? Those are the only two possibilities I can come up with. Anyone else have some other thoughts?
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2015 at 9:38am
My head is not really in to this right now, think of it as a little bump.

My thinking is that diode should have nothing to do with it running/having spark only run on as back feed power from the ALT to the MSD box. I would think if in wrong it would still run on?

You should be able to disconnect that wire at the ALT and it should still run/have spark just no ALT light and thinking may not charge as nothing to excite the ALT to start charging.

I would re-check the box wiring, 2 large wires to the batt., 2 smaller wires to key power & ground and IIRC the wires to the dist. been a long time since I wired up my drag car and I dint know where my CD is for wiring I bought.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic