TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head gasket leak, advice needed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2015 at 10:50am
One of my local machinist noticed the copper residue left on a head I took for him to mill.
He told me not to use copper spray, but wouldn't take the time to explain why not.

I'd been using copper spray for probably over 20 years, on personal engines, and every race engine I'd ever had apart. The only time I had a problem was when I got in a time bind, and installed a head that was out of tolerance just a bit on warp. It failed.

I didn't take his advice, and I've never had a blown head gasket other than the above mentioned problem.

I'm not a professional mechanic, but I've probably done about 40 head gaskets in those 20 years, about 3/4 of them for circle track race engines. Just one understandable failure in all those replacements tells me maybe i'm doing something right.

Knock on wood.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2015 at 12:35pm
Yea every one has there own way and if it works more power to them. I use it, do to maybe slight imperfections. I don't mill the heads or block if I don't need too. And I give it a slight coat and let it set up before bolting the heads down. Hope you find your culprit before tearing her apart. nothing like tearing apart an engine and finding nothing wrong. an magging everything can be a burden on ones purse. Oh! wallet. 
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
javsst70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2015 at 7:49am
I had the same situation in a 360 I rebuilt. Took me forever to admit to myself it was a head gasket. Had all those symptoms, and there was a coolant leak along the head. I thought the leak was coming from a valve cover bolt hole that had to get drilled out, which got into the water jacket.
Once I finally took the head off, there was an obvious defect in the HG in the area of the leak - I can't remember if it was cylinder 1 or 3, but it was near the head bolt between them. Have a new HG on it, but a wiring problem is preventing me from firing it up right now, so I can't tell you the results.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2015 at 8:25pm
Try Blue Devil sealant and a retorque
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 2:32pm
three years and 5000 miles on a Blue Devil fix here.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 3:47pm
Not really sure to trust a product that can leave you stranded at any moment. Or in some cases do more damage then the original concern. diagnose before tear down and fix the concern and drive the beast anywhere with confidence. Not putting down Blue Devil or any other products. Just like to find out the concern first and then take it from there. 
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 3:53pm
Just curious if they installed new seats in the heads. Just seams from what has been mentioned that it is a very small leak and depending on what heads you are running some have concerns after seat replacement. keep us posted on your findings, Very Curious.
notinthemafia1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notinthemafia1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2015 at 8:27am
OK so i ordered my gaskets today...
I have no info on the engine other that it was a rebuild, i was not the one that had the work done.  Unfortunately for me i will have to tear down to diagnose because i cant see anything.  

Before i start i just want to make sure, is there enough room to do this on the car or is it necessary to remove the engine?  The headers look like it will make a tight space to get a torque wrench in so possibly they will have to be removed completely. Hope thats not the cace as its a lot of work to get them out completely.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notinthemafia1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2015 at 1:37pm
so possible "good news" dropped off the passenger side header and just decided to take the torque wrench to the bolts under the plugs.  Set it to 70 and the bolt closest to the front of the car moved!!

so i checked all other bolts  none moved.  Increased the torque to 90 100 then 110 and in all cases only that 1 bolt moved. I'd say maybe a total of a 1/4 turn or more.  Maybe they forgot to tighten that bolt...    Going to check the other side probably tomorrow. im very happy i might not have to pull the heads after all...

Update:  I had read a simple test was to rev cold engine at startup to 2k and hold it there for about 20 sec, if there is a leak when you pull the red lever on the cap there will be pressure.

Today i did this for 40 sec,  when i pulled the lever up the little section of water i see trapped in the clear return hose barely moved 1/2 to 3/4 inch.  I,d say fine for the heat expansion of  the water.
When i did this same test before the re-torque of that bolt i got this nice cappuccino maker sound for a few sec.  

I drove the car around for 20 min or so and i don't ever think i saw the temp go over 195, and no bubbles when i got home. Also it looks like a lot less blow by coming from the filler cap.

I am remaining cautiously optimistic hopefully later ill take it out for a longer drive like 20 miles or so and then we will see if the rad cap starts venting bubbles again.

Edited by notinthemafia1 - Aug/04/2015 at 12:42pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notinthemafia1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2015 at 2:42pm
No dice, while it absolutely did make a difference that head will still most likely have to come off. A long drive and bubbles started again but no where near how it was.  after the motor cools ill start trying pulling off the driver side headers and see what happens on that side.  Maybe the same bolt will be loose...

Update:  First two bolts by the spark plugs in the front of the car were loose on the driver side.  @only 70 the closest bolt to the front moved from 12 to 1 o'clock.  the second one moved a little @ 100.  So i torqued them both to 110 and we shall see.  Shocked

Edited by notinthemafia1 - Aug/04/2015 at 4:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic