TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wide track in American??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wide track in American??
    Posted: Jul/23/2015 at 9:06pm
Can it be Done? Should it be done? 82-86 jeep "wide track" Model 20 54" wide?
1966 Rampar American
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2015 at 8:55am
Can it be done, yes. Cost effectively, no. Lug pattern is wrong. Jeep is 5 on 5 1/2", the American is 5 on 4 1/2". The American is around 56" wide and you don't have a lot of room to the springs, so wheel offset will be a challenge. Spring perches will also need to be moved.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2015 at 2:47am
Yeah I'm sure I could re-drill the axles. And I'm planning on moving the spring inboard anyway so thats not a big deal. and from what i hear you need a 7" wheel and 4.5" of backspacing so i'd take an inch off of that and 3.5 back spacing is easy to find. My real question is is it strong, will and model 20 stuff fit it?

1966 Rampar American
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2015 at 8:24am
It's the same as any other AMC 20. They're no stronger just because they were in a Jeep. Same 2 piece axles, same housing, same axle tubes. All diff parts and seals interchange. If you were to re-drill the hubs, you'd also need to machine down the center flange, so you'd have nothing but the lugs to center the wheel and brake drums. Then there'd be the problem of finding brake drums. You'd be better off starting with a small body (Hornet, Gremlin, American) AMC 20.

I did the Ford 8.8 in my American. We narrowed the long side to use a short side axle, which centers the diff and gives a 56 5/8" width. 3.73 gears, posi, and disc brakes as a bonus. I'm using Control Freak 4 link, so no leaf springs either.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic