TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Definition of Acceleration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2016 at 10:59am
In the middle 70's my cousin's husband campaigned a front engined top fuel dragster. He didn't drive but owned the car. He brought it to a City celebration, a parade, they allowed him to pull it through the parade, which was held on the main street of the City.Directly in front of the County Seat Court House, he stopped pulling the car and decided to fire it up for just a few seconds, on nitro. I can still hear the reverberations when I walk down that street.
About 8 years later I wanted to pull my SCCA Formula Ford in the same annual celebration parade, the parade organizers had not forgotten my cousins TF car......needless to say they denied allowing my race car in the parade.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
d7javelin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d7javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2016 at 9:47pm
I always liked the days when they ran over 90% nitro. Two TF cars would make a pass and all the cars alarms in the place would go off!

Standing at 1000 feet for night qualifying and watching the flames come up BEFORE the noise got to you, then getting shook off the fence when they came by.

Edited by d7javelin - Jan/14/2016 at 9:51pm
                 Imported from Kenosha
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 4:49pm
While attending the GM Nat's at Carlisle (I know....Brand X) with my girlfriend's GTO in 2014, we ran into an acquaintance of ours, Bruce Larson.  He owned and drove the USA-1 Camaro funny car.  The cars were on display for a "Cacklefest".  She was able to sit in the Camaro as they started it and revved the engine.  Even with the gas mask, her eyes were tearing.  I believe that this was the Nitro car, as the later cars were running alcohol.  Loud was not the word to describe that engine as it screamed!  The noise and the fumes made a great spectacle.   

a401classic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a401classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2016 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

It's loud enough that you can feel your internal organs vibrating at their own natural frequency.

I grew up overlooking Parker Ave, back when there was a "Tower" side and "Spectator" side (ca, 1979-1990).  My dad picked up extra cash as a security guard for the fairgrounds.  I would buy a ticket to get in the gate and he'd make sure I got over to the grandstand (singular) on the Tower side - right in front of the lights.  I'd usually stand at the fence near the cement barricade. There's nothing like a top fuel burn out to blow your hat off.  Burnt nitro, burnt rubber... I can still smell it.  And as Ken said, FEEL it.

And if you want great Mexican food, El Merendero is just behind the starting line.
'64 Rambler Classic 770 2DR

Twin Turbo 423.7 AMC (short block done)

TH400 / GV
partsguy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2016 at 7:48pm
nothing like g force,burnt rubber,like watching the better at night,
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2016 at 1:28am
 how about standing righ next to a top fuel dragster in the burnout box.i had the chance at summit raceway in norwalk durring there cavlecade of stars show  WHAT A RUSH
partsguy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2016 at 10:45am
wow,after that can you still hear,
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 8:14pm
The power of two ripping down the track is awesome. The power, noise and vibrations of 4 is completely unreal. If you have never watched them run the Top Fuelers at Charlotte, NC four-wide Nat's you have got to put it on your bucket list. The grandstands literally shake like there is an earthquake happening when they run. Blurred vision, shaking innards. Quite an experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic